Smoothies are easy and nutritious. For those hot summer days, these breakfast banana-strawberry smoothie popsicles are a real treat!
It seems like everyone is melting in the heat this summer. I’m not complaining about our balmy 70-degree weather here in San Diego. Our heat wave starts in August and ends in October. But, I’m prepared. It could be the dead of winter, but my kids are always ready for ice cream and popsicles. I don’t get it. It’s definitely a kid-thing. And my husband’s thing, too, who happens to be a giant kid, disguised as a 40-something man.
My kids also adore smoothies. These smoothies help my family boost our immune system and battle colds and sniffles we suffer through during the cootie-filled-months.
But, when summer rolls around and when the temperature goes up, the smoothies turn into smoothie popsicles.
It’s not rocket science. It’s not like this hasn’t been done before. Use any combination of fruits and veggies you want in your smoothie popsicles.
Your kids will think your nuts when you offer them a popsicle for breakfast.
And you can secretly smile, knowing it’s healthy AND fun.
Stay cool everyone!
- 2 cup milk
- 1 banana, peeled
- 1/2 lb strawberries, fresh
- 2 TBS protein powder
- 4 tsp wheat bran
- 4 tsp flax meal
- In a blender, combine all the ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Divide evenly into popsicle molds, above pictured using 5-oz paper cups.
- Place a wooden popsicle stick in the center of each cup and freeze until solid, 4-6 hours. If the popsicle stick won't stand up straight prior to freezing, place popsicles in the freezer for 30 minutes, then add the stick and continue freezing until done.
- If you're not going to eat the popsicles within 24 hours, put popsicles in a plastic freezer bag. Popsicles will keep in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
Serving Suggestions: You can use any of your favorite fruits and vitamins to customize your smoothie to your taste!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 70Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 37mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g