Cherry Cola Ice Cream: because summer ain’t over yet. Because we don’t want school to start. Just because.
August is here and school is looming on the horizon. But the kids and I are still in full summer mode. I am not ready to start the chaos of school and homework. The carpooling, the volunteering, the heaps of paperwork that seems to fill my house.
So we will focus on squeezing out as much fun as we can during the last weeks of summer vacation. That also means easy dinners, buckets of fresh fruit, a bit more junk food and plenty of cold treats to chill out from the heat.
I do my best to feed my kids healthy foods. Really, I do, but I am totally guilty for introducing a few vices to my munchkins. The first was root beer followed quickly by the root beer float. Oh yeah, thank you, Mommy.
The other vice my kids fell for was Cherry Cola. Middle Child declares it to be just as delicious as root beer. Oh yeah, I’m a bad, bad Mommy.
So it wasn’t that much of a leap for me to take my kids further down the junk food path with this Cherry Cola Ice Cream. Because, well, it’s still summer. And we refuse to give it up just yet!
I am also writing this post not just to push school from our radar, but to help out my friend, Stephanie/Recipe Renovator. You have read my review on the ebook she wrote, Golden Angels, about the loss of her beloved golden retriever, Buddy Girl, and opening her heart to love again with her new dog, Daisy.
It’s a beautiful book and
Stephanie has started a kickstarter campaign to raise $12,000 so she can get print up 2000 copies of her book and start a book tour. A simple donation of $5 can help her reach her goal. Check out her campaign, watch her video and decide for yourself.
Celebrate the Dog Days of Summer with me. Go take a swim, lounge by the beach, drink a cold cocktail or enjoy a heaping scoop of Cherry Cola Ice Cream.
- 1 lb cherries
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk, low-fat
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tsp coke syrup, *
- Wash, remove pit and quarter the cherries.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat stir together heavy cream, milk, sugar and salt.
- Stir until sugar has dissolved. Continue warming milk until just before bubbly, about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks until well combined.
- Slowly stir in 1/4 cup of warm milk into the egg yolks and whisk until smooth.
- Slowly stir egg yolk mixture back into the bigger pan of milk. Continue stirring and heating until custard thickens and can coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and stir in coke syrup.
- Refrigerate ice cream mix until cool, about 2 hours, and pour into a blender.
- Add cherries and pulse two times. You do not want to purée the cherries.
- Pour ice cream mixture into your ice cream machine and follow manufacturer's directions.
- If you prefer soft-serve ice cream, serve immediately. Otherwise, transfer to a freezer-safe container, cover and freeze for 8 hours.
Cooking Tips: * Depending on the quality of coke syrup used, the amount you need may vary. This version used the coke syrup made by Soda Stream and created a mild cola flavor. Increase the amount to your taste.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 236Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 75mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 3g