Summer fun means cold treats. Everyone will be smiling while the eat up the Best Homemade Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches ever!
It’s July! Are you melting out there??? San Diego is finally warming up (not complaining) and that means the kids are all over the beach, the pool, popsicles, ice cream and other frozen treats that will keep them cool. And a hot, sweaty, naggy kid is something we all want to avoid!
I first published this post back in 2011 to celebrate Middle Child’s 8th birthday. And I’ve seen similarly style chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches photographed all over the place since then. I guess imitation is supposed to be flattering to me, but I don’t think it is.
Why make these chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches
As I’ve shared before, one of my kids has a summer birthday. When he was younger, it was a bummer that he couldn’t celebrate in school with his friends. No sending in birthday treats for his class to enjoy.
But, the perk of summer birthdays is that you can guarantee the perfect weather for a kit kat ice cream cake or any other ice cream concoction to celebrate the big day. And since Middle Child’s birthday is usually in the middle of a hot summer, these amazing chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches were perfect.
These really are the best chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches and you’ve come to the right place. The cookies are both crispy and chewy, plus they are strong enough hold plenty of ice cream. And this recipe makes nice large sized cookies that are perfect for holding a big scoop of ice cream between them.
About the chocolate chip cookie recipe
The cookies are crispy and chewy, made with a combination a combination of all purpose flour, whole wheat flour and wheat bran. This combination plus the addition of egg yolks, make the texture of these chocolate chip cookies truly exceptional.
Although I usually bake with extra virgin olive oil, I kept butter in this chocolate chip cookie recipe for a reason. First, I wanted the buttery flavor and crisp brown edges that are characteristic of a butter based cookie recipe. And secondly, I love the buttery undertones of the cookies paired with ice cream.
How to decorate your chocolate chip ice cream sandwich
You could definitely use this recipe for just the chocolate chip cookie recipe, or just as simple chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches with only ice cream in between. Trust me, they are plenty tasty in these examples.
But for kids, what makes them especially fun is the addition of rolling the edges of your chocolate chip ice cream sandwich in mini chocolate chips, sprinkles or mini M&Ms. Just have fun with them!
Can you freeze these chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches?
You can even assemble the ice cream sandwiches, wrap them in plastic wrap and freeze until ready to serve. It might take a few minutes for the cookies to soften, but these babies will be ready for any summer time ice cream emergency.
You can also make the cookies and assemble the ice cream sandwiches a few days later. This works out well if you are planning on a special birthday party and you want to work ahead.
I hope you do make these extra special chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches. Because those crazy heat waves happen and we all need to cool off with something special!
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup wheat bran
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 qt ice cream, any flavor
- Preheat oven to 325ºF and line your baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Whisk whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, wheat bran, baking soda and salt together in a medium-sized bowl.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment cream together butter and both sugars until smooth.
- On low speed, beat in egg, egg yolks and vanilla extract until thoroughly mixed.
- In batches, add flour mixture into butter mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips by hand.
- Scoop out a scant 1/4-cup of dough and use two spoons to place the dough on the prepared baking sheet and form a ball.
- Space the dough balls with 2-3 inches of space in between and from the edge of the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes until cookies are lightly browned.
- Allow cookies to cool in the pan for 5 minutes then remove with a spatula and place on a cooling rack to cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- When cookies have completely cooled, you can use immediately for ice cream sandwiches or store for up to 10 days in a sealed container at room temperature.
- If using for ice cream sandwiches, place one heaping scoop of ice cream for each sandwich, using approximately 1 quart ice cream.
- Serve immediately or wrap in plastic wrap and freeze.
Serving Suggestions: Serve alone or with your favorite flavor of ice cream.
Cooking Tips: You can also garnish the ice cream sandwiches with sprinkles, mini chocolate chips (pictured above) or other fun extras.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 ice cream sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 671 Total Fat: 37g Saturated Fat: 22g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 111mg Sodium: 320mg Carbohydrates: 79g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 45g Protein: 10g