People assume that because I cook and have a blog about family friendly recipes that I cook with my children all the time. Um, no, I don’t. During the school year they get home around 4pm and it’s homework time and scouts and other activities that keep the five of us busy. Dinner is usually already made or getting made while they work. They do help clear the table, set the table, and bring dirty dishes to the sink. But, when it comes to the weekend and holidays, I recruit their help with the baking and prepping, like they helped with these Whole Wheat Pretzel Dogs.
This is a fun lunch/dinner-on-the-go for my family. Every summer, my boys have their Twilight Camp for scouts and a sack dinner is needed to be packed and ready to go. My kids have the envious meals, as you can imagine. I can’t justify a cold sandwich for dinner like I can for lunch!
The kids love working with dough, whether it’s for bread, pizza or pretzels. And since this week’s #SundaySupper theme is Kids in the Kitchen, I knew these Whole Wheat Pretzel Dogs would be a perfect fit!
The dough is mixed in the stand mixer with the hook attachment. Why this is so much fun to watch for kids, like the washing machine, I just don’t know.
Then you place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and covered to double in size. This I totally understand the kids’ amazement. I am always fascinated (and frankly, relieved) that I didn’t kill the yeast and that the dough doubled in size!
Now comes the fun part, ESPECIALLY for the kids. I used those giant Hebrew National Quarter Pound Hot Dogs for these Whole Wheat Pretzel Dogs, so the dough was divided into 8 equal parts.
Then you roll 8 24-inch dough ropes to wrap around your giant dogs.
Boil the dough-wrapped dogs in boiling water spiked with lots of baking soda to give it a nice crust in the oven. Drip dry the wet dogs, place on your baking sheet, brush on an egg wash, sprinkle with salt AND bake in a very hot 450ºF oven for about 15 minutes.
These Whole Wheat Pretzel Dogs are a bit darker in color than their all white flour counterparts, but the kids even notice. I kept the flour mixture half whole wheat and half white, but I will keep pushing the whole wheat envelope to eventually develop one that is 100% whole wheat.
Check out the other fun treats the #SundaySupper team came up with their Kids in the Kitchen:
Start Your Day:
- Panko Encrusted French Toast Sticks ~Doggie At the Dinner Table
- Pineapple Not-Upside Down Muffins ~In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Bacon, Egg & Sausage Breakfast Cups ~Daily Dish Recipes
- Buttermilk French Toast with Homemade Cinnamon – Raisin Bread ~What Smells So Good
- Snack Attack: 3 Healthy Choices for Little Nibblers ~Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Fruit Salad in an Orange Cup ~Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Whole-wheat Pretzel Dogs ~Family Spice
- Poblano Mac ‘N Cheese ~Juanita’s Cocina
- Coconut Chicken and Shrimp ~Super for a Steal
- Lunie and Mini-me’s Grilled Pizza ~Cravings of a Lunatic
- Hedgehog Meatballs and Chili Dog Pie ~Cooking by the Seat of our Pants
- Walking Tostada ~Shockingly Delicious
- Mini Sausage Rolls ~Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Mini Corn Dog Muffins ~In The Kitchen With KP
- Mexican Black Bean & Quinoa Burgers with Homemade Guacamole ~Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Threaded Spaghetti Hot Dog Bites ~Damn Delicious
- Golden Potato Patties ~My Trials in the Kitchen
- Grilled Chicken Wings in Sesame Flavors ~The Queen’s Notebook
- Spaghetti Tacos ~Girlichef
- Parmesan Corn on the Cob ~Home Cooking Memories
- Yum Yum Salmon ~Family Foodie
- Pad Thai ~Meal Planning Magic
- Chicken Tortilla Bake ~Mrs. Mama Hen
- Chocolate Slab ~Happy Baking Days
- Chocolate Chip Cut-Out Cookies ~Chocolate Moosey
- Self-Crust Coconut Pie ~Magnolia Days
- Fresh Cherry Clafoutis ~The Meltaways
- Wolf’s Wonderful Peanut Butter-Brownie Fudge Sundaes ~The Weekend Gourmet
- Cookies and Cream Ice Cream ~The Messy Baker Blog
- Healthy Creamy Caramel Apple Parfaits with Greek Yogurt ~Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate and Salted Caramel Pudding Pops ~Hezzi-D’s Cooks and Books
- Chocolate Cheese Turnover ~Basic and Delicious
- Chocotorta Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Oatmeal and M&M Cookies ~That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Purple Blueberry Cake ~Tora’s Real Food
- Tropical Popsicles ~Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Carrot Cupcakes ~Diabetic Foodie