Back-to-school meals can be made healthy and in a flash with this Whole Wheat Pizza with Hummus and Greens.
The kids are back in school! Woot! But, you’d think things would calm down in my house. Not quite! I have two schools this year and that means two car pools and two fundraisers entities trying to get into my wallet.
While I’m trying to balance volunteering, blogging & home life I am just like everyone else trying to get dinner on the table. And that is why today’s #SundaySupper is all about back-to-school meals!
One of our families favorite meals is a no-brainer, pizza. Seriously which family doesn’t love pizza? It’s versatile and adaptable. You can make it kid-friendly or healthy.
I typically make one for the kids and one for the hubby and I. Don’t get me wrong, I like a slice of cheesy pizza, but sometimes you want something lighter, something healthier.
My favorite way to serve pizza is with a salad. I love topping each pizza bite with the tangy greens. I mop up the dressing on my plate with the crust. Mmmmm…..
I have made several attempts on a whole wheat pizza crust, but many have turned out to be bricks that were immediately thrown out. Whole wheat flour can be tricky and it soaks up a lot of moisture.
With the help of some whole wheat flour sent to me by Bob’s Red Mill, my latest dough turned out to be a success. Lay on the cheese and pepperoni or add goat cheese and veggies. Go crazy, go healthy!
I baked my whole wheat pizza crust plain and then smeared on my hubby’s famous Garlic Hummus. Because I love salad and vinaigrette with my pizza, I added it on top, too.
You can make the dough ahead of time or in the bread machine. You can buy prepackaged dough or pre-baked crust. Once you have the dough, it’s a meal that is ready in less than 15 minutes!
And I am a happy momma – even during the school year. What are your favorite 30-minute-or-less meal options?
- 1/2 cup water, warm
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- In a small bowl stir together water and yeast. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- On a well-floured work surface, place whole wheat flour in a pile. Create a well in the center and pour the yeast mixture into the center, along with olive oil and salt.
- Using a fork or your fingers, gradually mix everything together.
Mixture will be a little sticky. Add little bit of flour as needed, while you continuously knead the dough until it is soft and smooth, about 20-30 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a ball and place in a bowl dusted with flour and cover with a clean dish towel. Place the bowl in a warm spot to rise until doubled in size, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 500ºF.
- Roll the dough into a 10 to 12 inch circle and transfer to a pan.
- Add toppings and bke until golden 10-12 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Serving Suggestions: Serve alone or with salad. Even better, top your pizza with salad!
Cooking Tips: The dough can also be prepared in a bread machine, made ahead and chilled in the refrigerator until ready to use. Just bring dough back to room temperature before baking.
You can also bake it without any toppings, as in the above pictured hummus pizza, for 8-10 minutes. Let dough cool for 5 minutes then spread with hummus and top with fresh greens.
To prepare above pizza, bake pizza crust alone then remove from oven and schmear on your favorite hummus and top with salad.