Need a meal that will inspire all of your sense? This rustic Whole Wheat Pizza with Pesto, Tomatoes and Brie recipe is a feast for your eyes as well as your taste buds. This post is sponsored by KitchenPLAY on behalf of Frigidaire and Lowes.
When my husband and I moved into our house 14 years ago, it was brand-spanking new. We decided to forgo our initial instinct to buy an old house with character, but instead buy a new house in a new area for investment reasons. And being the do-it-yourselfers that we are, we started to give our new suburban home character, age and personality.
We started to transform our empty canvas of a home into a rustic, old-world escape from the everyday. The process has been slow, as we added three kids during our transformation. This has been a labor of love, where we pinned our inspiration the old-fashioned way: from magazine clippings and furniture stores.
And now, despite our efforts, my kitchen is looking a bit beat up after 14 years. Everything feels and look – well, blah. We never did upgrade our countertops and the walls certainly need a new paint job. We replaced our appliances, but I give my appliances a serious beating. After a couple years, there are signs of wear and tear. For all the cooking I do, I need a professional kitchen.
So when Frigidaire asked me what my dream kitchen would look like, well, I started to dream….
Below you will see my inspiration board. It pretty much sums up my personal style: modern meets rustic with a pop of color.
That kitchen picture you see up there? No, it’s not my kitchen. That’s the dream kitchen I found on Pinterest. That’s what I want and don’t have. Yet.
But, I don’t have to demo my whole kitchen to get closer to my dream kitchen. With just a weekend and a few professional pieces that fit into my existing space from Lowe’s, that dream kitchen is a lot closer than you think. And with these sleek Smudge-Proof™ Stainless Steel, professional-grade appliances from the new Frigidaire Professional® Collection, I don’t have to worry about my anal husband constantly wiping down those pesky fingerprints my kids seem to leave everywhere. The appliances are also compatible with standard-sized spaces so they fit into existing kitchens, eliminating the need for a full remodel.
My top finds (available at Lowe’s) include:
- This roomy Frigidaire Professional ® French Door Refrigerator is built to standard counter depth, but looks like a built-in.
- I already have my Terra Cotta tile flooring. It’s rustic, always the right temperature and easy on the back.
- These stone mosaic tiles for my backsplash would give me the stone wall look that I crave without creating expensive stone walls.
- Light granite countertops to replace my horribly ugly tile countertops and to contrast my existing wood cabinets.
- A neutral paint color from Valspar that will brighten my badly lit kitchen.
- Rustic touches like this bronze faucet from Moen give me the old world feel with modern technology.
- I love this super cool and affordable orb chandelier by allen + roth in bronze to brighten up my kitchen.
- My family of five desperately needs this Frigidaire Professional ® Built-In Dishwasher that washes a load of dishes in only 30 minutes.
- I am totally in love with this huge antique copper farm sink. I’ll fill it up in no time with dirty dishes.
- Of course, I must add my signature splash of color, my Mexican pottery and tile collection.
- Frigidaire Professional ® 5-Burner Gas Range: That 18,000 BTU burner and convection oven is calling my name.
Which brings me to my artisan pesto pizza: whole wheat crust with fresh pesto, brie and gorgeous heirloom tomatoes. Modern meets rustic with a pop of color.
You can make the dough yourself using my whole wheat pizza dough or choose store-bought dough. I love sneaking something healthy into my pesto, like I do with my Kale Pesto with Tarragon and Walnuts, but feel free to make your own or buy ready-made pesto.
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 4 oz brie
- 2 medium-sized heirloom tomatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- In a small bowl stir together warm water and yeast.
- Set yeast mixture aside for 5 minutes.
- On a well-floured work surface pour out flour.
- Create a well in the center and pour the yeast mixture into the center, along with olive oil and salt.
- Using a fork or your fingers, gradually mix everything together.
- Mixture will be a little sticky. Add little bit of flour as needed, while you continuously knead the dough until it is soft and smooth, about 20-30 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a ball and place in a bowl dusted with flour and cover with a clean dish towel.
- Place the bowl in a warm spot to rise until doubled in size, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 500ºF.
- Punch down dough and form into a 10-inch circle or oval onto a pizza stone. You can also dust a pizza pan with 1 tsp cornmeal.
- Spread pesto evenly over the dough.
- Cut brie into 1-inch pieces and scatter evenly over the pesto.
- Top the pizza with tomato slices.
- Bake until bubbly, about 10 minutes.
- Allow pizza to cool for 5 minutes, then cut and serve immediately.
Serving Suggestions: Serve alone or with salad. Even better, top your pizza with salad and fresh herbs. This makes a great lunch, light dinner or appetizer.
Cooking Tips: The oil from the brie and pesto will spread and penetrate the pizza crust. Allow pizza to cool before slicing and serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:2 slices
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 351 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 32mg Sodium: 845mg Carbohydrates: 32g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 2g Protein: 14g