If you find yourself cooking Thanksgiving for two, don’t stress out. This easy oven roasted turkey breast with black garlic butter is a delicious option.
I have always been part of a mass crowd during Thanksgiving. I am lucky to have a big, loving family always around me. But I do remember my single days, when I lived in Miami and a couple Thanksgivings came up where I wasn’t with my family.
Then you get the invitations from friends who have large families that always have room for one more guest. But sometimes, you find yourself in a situation where it’s a small crowd for Thanksgiving, or you have newlyweds who want to shut the world away and celebrate on their own. What should you do?
You don’t need a big ‘ole turkey to celebrate when it’s just the two or three of ya. Cornish hens work well, if you don’t mind giving up turkey. But if you have the turkey hankering, then the next best thing is to feed a small crowd for Thanksgiving, or any night of the week.
Because it is turkey breast, which is low in fat, I did lather it up nicely with my Black Garlic Butter – remember that? Sweet, garlicky goodness!
Ingredients you need
- Black garlic: This is fermented garlic and it is so full of flavor with a hint of sweetness.
- Fresh thyme: You can also use fresh oregano, rosemary or basil.
- Bone-in turkey breast: These are quite large. The one I cooked was about 6-pounds, so you will have plenty for 4 hearty eaters or 2 who enjoy leftover sammies!
- Salt and pepper
This is not an overly complicated recipe, so rest assured that you can still have a fabulous holiday without stressing out.
Simply combine butter, garlic butter and thyme, like you would a compound butter. Then slather this butter all over the turkey breast, especially rubbing it under the skin. Season with salt and pepper and roast!
- 3 TBS butter, unsalted, room temperature
- 3 black garlic, cloves
- 1 teaspoon thyme, fresh
- 6 lb turkey breast, bone-in
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, ground
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Using a rubber spatula or a hand mixer combine butter, black garlic and thyme until thoroughly and evenly mixed.
- Wash Turkey breast and pat dry with paper towels.
- Rub the garlic butter all over the turkey breast, including under the skin.
- Place turkey breast side up on a small roasting pan or cast iron skillet and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast until temperature of the thickest part of the breast meat registers 160ºF with an instant read thermometer, about 2 ½ hours.
- Remove from the oven and tent turkey loosely with foil for 20 minutes, or until internal temperature rises to 170ºF.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 720Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 378mgSodium: 644mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 137g
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback.
You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my eMail list, too!