Cooking Thanksgiving turkey for a small crowd just got easier and tastier: Roast Turkey Breast with Black Garlic Butter. Leftover included!
I have always been part of a mass crowd during Thanksgiving. I am lucky to have a big, loving family always around me. But I do remember my single days, when I lived in Miami and a couple Thanksgivings came up where I wasn’t with my family.
Then you get the invitations from friends who have large families that always have room for one more guest. But sometimes, you find yourself in a situation where it’s a small crowd for Thanksgiving, or you have newlyweds who want to shut the world away and celebrate on their own. What should you do?
You don’t need a big ‘ole turkey to celebrate when it’s just the two or three of ya. Cornish hens work well, if you don’t mind giving up turkey. But if you have the turkey hankering, then the next best thing is to feed a small crowd for Thanksgiving, or any night of the week.
Because it is turkey breast, which is low in fat, I did lather it up nicely with my Black Garlic Butter – remember that? Sweet, garlicky goodness!
Some fresh thyme, salt and pepper and we were good to go to roast.
Turkey breasts are quite large, this one was about 6 pounds, so you will have plenty for 4 hearty eaters, or 2 honeymooners who can make some quesadillas with their leftovers.
- 3 TBS butter, unsalted, room temperature
- 3 black garlic, cloves
- 1 tsp thyme, fresh
- 6 lb turkey breast, bone-in
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper, ground
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Using a rubber spatula or a hand mixer combine butter, black garlic and thyme until thoroughly and evenly mixed.
- Wash Turkey breast and pat dry with paper towels.
- Rub the garlic butter all over the turkey breast, including under the skin.
- Place turkey breast side up on a small roasting pan or cast iron skillet and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast until temperature of the thickest part of the breast meat registers 160ºF with an instant read thermometer, about 2 ½ hours.
- Remove from the oven and tent turkey loosely with foil for 20 minutes, or until internal temperature rises to 170ºF.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 720Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 378mgSodium: 644mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 137g
Now, I’m going to be busy this week with my family for the holidays, so be sure YOU have a FANTASTIC Thanksgiving.
Remember, let’s celebrate one season at a time. We can hold off on the Black Friday deals and shopping for AFTER Thanksgiving. If we don’t savor the moments we have with our loved ones, they will pass us by.