This easy and delicious hot crab rangoon dip will easily be the hit to any party. Enjoy this hot crab dip with all the creamy cheesy goodness your heart desires with a little kick from sriracha.
This is the time of the year where we all find ourselves entertaining or being entertained! From potlucks to cocktail parties, the holidays can be both wonderous and stressful.
So I am always on the hunt for delicious appetizers that take little effort. Dips are my personal favorite kind of appetizers. And seafood dips seem to elevate the classiness of a simple dip.
Why you must try this recipe
I really love crab, but I don’t like the hassle of cracking crab open from the shells. That’s the beauty of using lump crab meat – they do the work for you!
This hot crab dip uses real crab meat and not the ‘fake crab’ – which I do actually like, too, but not for this dip. Crab rangoon is a delicious appetizer you can find on the menu at your favorite Chinese restaurants. They are basically wonton wrappers stuffed with this cheesy crab yumminess and then deep fried.
And this crab rangoon dip is more of deconstructed version of this fabulous appetizer. Many people serve this with wonton chips that you fry yourself, but I’m little lazy and serve it with my favorite tortilla chips.
You can make this dip on the spicy side or more mild. I prefer a little kick, so add more sriracha if you like the extra heat. You can also assemble this dip a day or two before you are going to serve it and then pop it in the oven when you are ready.
And this dish is also fabulous as leftovers. I easily reheated this dish the day after and enjoyed it for lunch! Sshhh! Don’t tell anyone!
Ingredients you need
- Crab meat: You can find crab meat in the refrigerated seafood section at the butcher’s or canned where you find tuna fish.
- Cream cheese: You will need a regular brick of cream cheese, not the whipped kind.
- Sour cream: I prefer full fat sour cream but you could use the low fat variety.
- Mayonnaise: You can use regular mayo or the olive oil variety.
- Worcestershire sauce: This adds a little zing to the dip.
- Soy sauce: You can use low sodium soy sauce like I do or liquid aminos for a gluten free option.
- Sriracha: Use as much or as little sriracha as you want. You can also use any other variety of hot sauce or sweet chile sauce.
- Lemon: You will the juice and grated zest from a lemon.
- Garlic: I prefer using real garlic, but you could get by with some garlic powder.
- Green onions: You can also use chives.
- Mozzarella: You can shred your won or use the pre-shredded cheese. You can also use Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack.
- Salt and pepper
1. In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, sriracha, lemon juice and lemon zest. Whip until smooth and creamy.
2. Stir in crab meat, garlic, green onion, salt, pepper and mozzarella until evenly combined.
3. Spread crab mixture into a casserole dish and top with remaining of shredded cheese. Bake at 350ºF for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
4. Top with remaining chopped green onions and serve with fried won ton chips, tortilla chips or pita chips.
Expert tips and recipe FAQs
You can serve this dip any number of ways. Go authentic and fry up some wonton chips or keep it simple and serve with tortilla, corn or pita chips. You can also use veggies like carrots and celery.
This dip reheats well in the oven or in the microwave. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
You can prepare this dip up to 24 hours in advance. Simply cover it with foil or plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator. When ready to bake, remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to baking to bring it to room temperature. Then bake as directed.
The base of this hot crab dip is made with cream cheese, mayonnaise and sour cream. I also add mozzarella cheese, sriracha, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, green onions and of course, lump crab meat!
You can use your favorite chip to go with this cheesy hot crab dip. I prefer tortilla chips, but you can also use fried wonton chips, corn chips or even pita chips. For a low carb option, use your favorite crudités like carrots and celery.
- 6 oz crab meat
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 TBS sour cream
- 2 TBS mayonnaise
- ¾ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella or monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, sriracha, lemon juice and lemon zest. Whip until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in crab meat, garlic, 1 chopped green onion, salt, pepper and ¼ cup of mozzarella until evenly combined.
- Spread crab mixture into a casserole dish and top with remaining ¼ of shredded cheese.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Top with remaining chopped green onions and serve with fried won ton chips, tortilla chips or pita chips.
You can prepare this dip (thru step 4) up to 24 hours in advance. Simply cover it with foil or plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator. When ready to bake, remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to baking to bring it to room temperature. Then bake as directed.
If desired, place under the broiler on low for one minute for a golden brown top.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 130Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 315mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 7g
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback.
You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my eMail list, too!