This Pineapple Caprese Salad is a tropical twist to an Italian favorite. Drizzle with a fruit infused balsamic vinegar to tie it altogether.
Summer vacation is just around the corner for us. Our house is abuzz with the usual end-of-school parties, projects and field trips. And I go an get sick in the heart of the storm. Yes, timing is everything and I caught a doozy of a cold last week, which laid me up IN BED for FOUR DAYS.
It wasn’t the flu or a stomach bug, but a nasty head cold which left me dizzy and knocked out of service. The hubby reluctantly took over some of the necessary mom-duties and my parents helped with carpool and the dishes. Today was the first day I was able to sit behind the computer in almost a week.
As of today, I still only have 80% of my hearing back. I think my allergies are equally aggravated as I have used up enough tissues to fill up a garbage bag. Everyone returned to school Monday, but my dad reported that my mom woke up sick with a bad cold. Ugh. I blame the dirty dishes.
During this week of chaos and mayhem, I lay in bed, tweeted, instagrammed and solved mystery after mystery. My mind would wander to the poor blog and ebook and these adorable Zululand Queen Baby Pineapples that Frieda’s Produce sent me.
They were calling for me from the fridge. I had instructed the family that they were NOT to touch them, think about them or even breathe on them until I worked out a recipe. I had all my ingredients lined up and purchased. And then I got sick.
While I was sick, my husband reminded me about the pineapples. So after a nap, I shuffled downstairs and prepared my Pineapple Caprese Salad. They were juicy and sweet and the core is totally edible.
With watery eyes, I shot my pictures quickly, praying they were in focus. I placed the plate on the countertop, hoping my husband would see them and eat them as I crawled back to bed. I forgot all about them until this morning when he said, “Oh that thing you made was really good!”
Huh? Oh yeah, the pineapple caprese salad! I had drizzled it with some heavenly extra virgin olive oil that Mary gave me, as well as some cherry balsamic vinegar. In all of my haze, I had forgotten all about them. It’s perfect for summer snacks while lounging poolside.
Wish I took more pictures of it, but well, you know
- 2 baby pineapples
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, drained of liquid
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 8 basil, large leaves or small sprigs
- 3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TBS balsamic vinegar, red
- Remove tops and cut thorny skin off both pineapples. The core of the baby pineapple is edible. If using a regular pineapple, remove the core.
- Cut each pineapple into rounds of desired thickness or between ¼ - ½ inch thick.
- Place pineapple rounds onto your serving platter.
- Cut into rounds of the mozzarella cheese into the same thickness as the pineapple and place over the pineapple rounds.
- Cut the tomatoes into rounds of the same thickness and place over the mozzarella rounds.
- Top tomato stacks with basil and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Serving Suggestions: Zululand Queen Baby Pineapples were used in the photo. If you can not find baby pineapples, cut small rounds out of a larger pineapple.
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback.
You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my eMail list, too!