Purple produce is jam packed with nutritious antioxidants. This purple salad features raw purple Brussels sprouts, purple cauliflower and blood oranges.
No, you do not need to adjust the color on your screen. That really is a purple salad. All natural, too. Did you know that many of our vegetables can be found in the purple form – NATURALLY? From potatoes to carrots, asparagus to cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts to artichokes, all of these vegetables, and more, can be found in the color purple.
Purple produce is not just a pretty face. These fruits and vegetables are jam packed with antioxidants.
There is tremendous research showing evidence that these anthocyanins, the magical substance that provide the vibrant purple pigment, reduce the risk of cancer, heart disease, diabetes and Parkinson’s.
Have I got your attention now?
After receiving my purple care-package from Frieda’s Produce, I immediately fell in love with these stunning purple Brussels sprouts.
I usually roast my sprouts, but this time I decided to eat these gorgeous sprouts raw. Yes, they are delicious raw and in a salad. I studded my salad with purple cauliflower, blood oranges, kalamata olives and goat cheese crumbles – a great find from Trader Joe’s.
Read more about the power of purple produce here:
- 12 oz raw Brussels sprouts, purple or green variety
- 2 blood oranges, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup cauliflower, florets, purple or white variety
- 2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 8 kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TBS red wine vinegar
- 2 TBS lemon juice
- 1 tsp basil, dried
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, ground
- Using a sharp knife or a food processor with the shredder attachment, shred all the Brussels Sprouts.
- Transfer shredded Brussels sprouts to serving bowl and add oranges, cauliflower, goat cheese and olives.
- To make the vinaigrette, whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, basil, salt and pepper.
- Serve salad together with the vinaigrette.