This fresh and easy Avocado Crab Salad is easy to whip together and tastes heavenly with Seville Oranges, bell peppers and fresh cilantro.
I adore avocados. I put them in anything and everything. Living in San Diego means I always have access to these precious beauties. I know I am spoiled.
And today I am sharing how terrific they are in this avocado crab salad.
Why this recipe is so awesome
Avocados have a mild nutty flavor that pair perfectly with a bit of sour. I usually add lime juice to avocados, but I recently got ahold of some Seville oranges. Seville Oranges are thick skinned and a bit sweet and sour.
And they are amazing with avocados!!!
Stir in some fresh cilantro, bell peppers and crab meat and you have a light meal, a chunky salsa or even a simple salad. I had some leftover baguette from the night before and quickly sopped up the deliciousness.
This would make a terrific appetizer with some tortilla chips, too. Such wonderful flavor combinations that work beautifully together.
Ingredients you need
- Crab: You can use real lump crab or the artificial crab. Even cooked shrimp would be a great addition or substitute to this salad.
- Avocado: You can use any variety of avocado. I personally like haas, fuerte and reed avocados.
- Bell peppers: You can use the sweet red bell peppers or even orange ones. I used a combination of red and green.
- Seville Orange: These are not as sweet as the regular variety of oranges. They are also not as tart as the sour ornamental oranges.
- Herbs: fresh cilantro and green onions
- Lime juice: I added this to balance the Seville orange flavor. You can also use lemon juice.
- Salt and pepper
1. In a large bowl whisk Seville orange juice, lime juice, salt and pepper.
2. Stir in crab, avocado, bell peppers, cilantro and green onions and coat everything with juices. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 8 oz crab
- 1 avocado, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Juice from 1 Seville Orange
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large bowl whisk Seville orange juice, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Stir in crab, avocado, bell peppers, cilantro and green onions and coat everything with juices.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Serving Suggestions: Serve alone, with fresh greens or with bread.
Cooking Tips: For extra kick, substitute green bell peppers with 1 jalapeño.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 367Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 821mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 9gSugar: 22gProtein: 24g
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback.
You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my eMail list, too!