Nothing says I love you like a chocolate pretzel crusted, berry laden Nutella Berry Pie with Pretzel Crust. You know you want to eat the whole thing. Admit it.
Earlier this month was my husband’s birthday. We kept the celebration small and informal, the way he likes it. We save the big, fun parties for the kids’ birthdays. His favorite dessert is tiramisu.
I’ve made it several times for him. Haven’t posted the recipe yet. But, it’s his favorite. I didn’t make it this year. Cruel wife? No, not really. I had my reasons.
As many of you know, last month a fellow-foodie, Jennie from In Jennie’s Kitchen, lost her husband suddenly from a heart attack. And now she is struggling to live without her partner, her best friend and to begin a new chapter in her life and raise her girls alone. Her story has moved many of us. The beautiful video by WORC will reduce you to tears.
Jennie asked the food bloggers to make her husband’s favorite pie, in Mikey’s honor. A Creamy Peanut Butter Pie.
When I found out about it, I didn’t have much time to get the ingredients. Life was busy with school starting. Errands. Appointments. I told myself I would do it, eventually.
Then a month passed.
When my husband’s birthday rolled around, I remembered Jennie, and I made up a pie for my husband, but with Mikey on my mind. It’s not peanut butter, it’s Nutella – our family’s current obsession.
The crust is made with pretzels and chocolate. The filling has cream cheese and Nutella. The topping fresh berries & melted jam.
This Nutella berry pie is ridiculously delicious. I love the sweet and salty combination for the crust, the creamy, dreamy Nutella cheese filling and the sweet and juicy berries on top.
A simple pie to show the one’s you love, well, that you love them. Because we don’t know how long this roller coaster called life will last, so we better enjoy the ride while we are on it.
- 2 cup pretzels, any shape
- 1/4 cup butter, unsalted
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips, bittersweet
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 8 oz strawberries, halved
- 4 oz blackberries
- 3 oz blueberries
- 3 TBS strawberry jam, warmed
- In a food processor, purée pretzels until 1 cup of crumbs are formed.
- In a double boiler, melt butter and chocolate chips over medium heat, stirring until smooth.
- Remove chocolate mixture from heat and stir in the pretzel crumbs.
- Coat an 8-inch tart pan with removable bottom with non-stick spray.
Press chocolate-pretzel mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan, pressing it up the sides into an even layer.
- Refrigerate crust for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using a hand mixer, whisk together the softened cream cheese and Nutella.
- Spread the Nutella mixture evenly into chilled chocolate-pretzel crust.
- Place strawberries, blackberries and blueberries in a decorative manner over the Nutella mixture.
- Brush warmed jam over the fruit.
- Place tart back in the refrigerator and chill for at least an hour.
- Prior to serving, remove tart from pan, slice and serve.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 395Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 255mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 4gSugar: 25gProtein: 5g