Nothing says I love you like a chocolate pretzel crusted, berry laden Nutella Berry Pie with Pretzel Crust. You know you want to eat the whole thing. Admit it.
Birthdays come and go in my big family, so I find myself always baking for these special occasions. Sometimes I make a traditional cake, like my olive oil vanilla cake. Other times I make something different, like this strawberry cake for my pink loving girl.
My husband’s birthday was last week. We still have access to beautiful sweet berries, so I decided to make something different this time: a nutella berry pie with pretzel crust.
Why you have to make this recipe
You could argue that this is more of a Nutella tart than a pie. Most tarts require a pastry crust (like the one I use in my pomegranate tart) which is similar to a pie crust but more sweet and cookie like.
The pie crust I make here is made with chocolate and pretzels. Are you a sweet and salty fan like me? I’ve always loved chocolate covered pretzels. That combination of sweet and salty is so incredible.
It is this delicious pretzel crust that holds the fluffy filling made with cream cheese and Nutella. Then I added fresh berries and brush on melted jam.
For a pie (or tart) this Nutella version is very easy to put together. The crust does not require rolling or any special tools. You can use a pie plate or a tart pan, which I prefer. You simple press the mixture into the pan using your hands or the bottom of a measuring cup.
This no-bake tart is perfect on a hot summer day when you do not want turn on your oven.
A pie/tart for a birthday, instead of a cake? Well, no one was crying for the missing cake. We ate up the pie and had zero leftovers!
Ingredients you need
- Pretzels: You can use any shape or style of pretzels. They will be crushed.
- Butter: I use unsalted butter as the pretzels will provide enough salt in this pie.
- Chocolate chips: You can use any of your favorite chocolate chip: semi-sweet, bitter sweet, dark or milk chocolate chips.
- Cream cheese: I use full fat cream cheese. The measurements are made with the brick of cream cheese and not the whipped variety. You can also use mascarpone cream.
- Nutella: You can use any kind of chocolate nut spread, but this recipe was developed with Nutella.
- Fresh fruit: You can use whatever fresh fruit you have in season. Best choices for fruit tarts include strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, peaches, apricots, kiwi, pears and even pomegranate.
- Strawberry jam: Jam is usually melted and brushed onto the fruit of your tart. You usually choose a jam that will compliment the flavor. Since I had strawberries, I used strawberry jam. You can also use orange marmalade or any other jam.
1. In a food processor, purée pretzels until 1 cup of crumbs are formed. In a double boiler, melt butter and chocolate chips over medium heat, stirring until smooth. Remove chocolate mixture from heat and stir in the pretzel crumbs.
2. Coat an 8-inch tart pan with removable bottom with non-stick spray. Press chocolate-pretzel mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan, pressing it up the sides into an even layer. Refrigerate crust for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, using a hand mixer, whisk together the softened cream cheese and Nutella. Spread the Nutella mixture evenly into chilled chocolate-pretzel crust.
6. Place strawberries, blackberries and blueberries in a decorative manner over the Nutella mixture. Brush warmed jam over the fruit. Place tart back in the refrigerator and chill for at least an hour. Prior to serving, remove tart from pan, slice and serve.
- 2 cup pretzels, any shape
- ¼ cup butter, unsalted
- ¾ cup chocolate chips, bittersweet
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup Nutella
- 8 oz strawberries, halved
- 4 oz blackberries
- 3 oz blueberries
- 3 TBS strawberry jam, warmed
- In a food processor, purée pretzels until 1 cup of crumbs are formed.
- In a double boiler, melt butter and chocolate chips over medium heat, stirring until smooth.
- Remove chocolate mixture from heat and stir in the pretzel crumbs.
- Coat an 8-inch tart pan with removable bottom with non-stick spray.
Press chocolate-pretzel mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan, pressing it up the sides into an even layer.
- Refrigerate crust for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using a hand mixer, whisk together the softened cream cheese and Nutella.
- Spread the Nutella mixture evenly into chilled chocolate-pretzel crust.
- Place strawberries, blackberries and blueberries in a decorative manner over the Nutella mixture.
- Brush warmed jam over the fruit.
- Place tart back in the refrigerator and chill for at least an hour.
- Prior to serving, remove tart from pan, slice and serve.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 395Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 255mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 4gSugar: 25gProtein: 5g
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback.
You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my eMail list, too!