If you are looking for an easy halloween dessert to gross your friends and family with, then you’ll love this fabulous practical joke of a dessert: The Kitty Litter Cake!
My family loves Halloween. And I’m not going into a religious debate about this being a pagan holiday and all. For us, it’s about fun. We get to dress up, pull pranks on each other, have a party and the grown-ups get to be kids again.
It’s not even about the candy. Most of it gets dumped out or donated to the Ronald McDonald House. It’s about having fun. And we are the lucky house that gets to host the neighborhood Halloween Party.
It started with 3 houses and grew, last year, to 20 or more families. It’s always a pot luck, so I have a accumulated a great selection of halloween potluck ideas and recipes over the years. A neighbor brought this kitty litter cake and it was the hit of the party!
What is a kitty litter cake?
So last year, one of my neighbors brought this disgusting Kitty Litter Cake to the party. It really freaked everyone out. And, yes, it took one brave soul to take the first bite and convince the rest of us to try it! Basically it’s a dessert made to look like, well, a really full and dirty kitty litter box.
Yes, it’s gross. Yes, it’s hilarious. And yes, it’s quite tasty!
How to make a kitty litter cake?
This easy halloween dessert is very easy to whip together. You can make it using two boxes of cake mix (vanilla and chocolate), one box of vanilla instant pudding, vanilla sandwich cookies, food dye and tootsie rolls. You bake the two cakes in any pan you want. Once baked and cooled the cakes will be crumbled.
Crush the vanilla sandwich cookies in a food processor, reserving some of it to be dyed green. Add the cake crumbles in a large bowl with the remaining crumbled vanilla cookies and add in as much vanilla pudding to moisten it up without making it super wet.
The key is to use a BRAND NEW litter box and pooper scooper for the full effect. You can line it with a clean plastic bag, if you want. Scatter the crumbled cake mix in the new little box.
You will be using tootsie rolls for mimic the kitty poop. This is done by massaging the tootsie rolls until softened so you can shape to look like, well, poop. Hide a few of these gems in the cake mix crumbles in the litter box.
Top the kitty litter cake with crushed cookies and the dyed green cookies. Soften a few more tootsie rolls in the microwave and place them over the top of the cake, even hanging on the side of the litter box for more effect.
My mother-in-law, who is not from the U.S., couldn’t stop laughing at this kitty litter cake. She thought it was hilarious (and delicious!). The kids, especially those with cats, also loved this fun and easy halloween dessert.
Just another way to have celebrate halloween, get a laugh and have a great dessert, too!
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix plus ingredients
- 1 box of white cake mix plus ingredients
- 4 oz box of vanilla instant pudding mix
- ½ lb vanilla sandwich cookies
- 4 drops green food coloring
- 12 small tootsie roll candies
- Prepare and bake both cake mixes in any size pan.
- Prepare and chill vanilla pudding.
- Crumble cookies in small batches in a blender or food processor.
- Set aside all but about ¼ cup of cookie crumbs.
- For the ¼ cup of crumbs, add green food coloring and mix until bright green.
- When cakes are cooled to room temperature, crumble into a large bowl.
- Toss with half the remaining white cookie crumbs and the chilled pudding. Important: mix in just enough of the pudding to moisten it. You don't want it too soggy. Combine gently.
- Put half of the cake/pudding/cookie mixture into a brand new litter box.
- Place 3 small tootsie rolls in a microwave safe dish and heat until soft and pliable.
- Shape ends so they are no longer blunt, curving slightly.
- Repeat with 3 more tootsie rolls and bury these into the cake mixture.
- Sprinkle the other half of cookie crumbs over top.
- Scatter the green cookie crumbs lightly on top of everything. This is supposed to look like the chlorophyll in real kitty litter.
- Place 3 more tootsie rolls in a microwave safe dish and heat until almost melted.
- Scrape them on top of the cake and sprinkle lightly with some more of the green cookie crumbs.
- Place 3 more tootsie rolls in a microwave safe dish and heat until soft and pliable.
- Shape ends so they are no longer blunt, curving slightly. Spread all but one randomly over top of cake mixture.
- Sprinkle with any remaining cookie crumbs.
- Hang the remaining tootsie roll over the side of litter box and sprinkle with a few green cookie crumbs.
- Place litter box over some newspaper and serve with a brand new pooper scooper.
Serving Size:1 scoop
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 95Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 71mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 0gSugar: 8gProtein: 1g