Perfect for a weeknight meal or for an evening with friends, your family will love this easy flank steak with garlic & wild mushrooms.
I love the idea of bringing the family together for a home-cooked meal on Sunday. When I was little, we would go to my grandmother’s house for the weekly meal. You could smell her delicious cooking while you were walking up to her apartment.
Today, the hubby, kids and I get together with our extended family at least once a week to share a meal, making great memories for my kids. Getting the family together to share a meal has always been a passion of mine.
As I shared with you before, my eldest just graduated from elementary school. His favorite food is red meat. “I’m a carnivore, Mommy, like T-Rex!” he would roar to me when he was 5 years old. In the past couple of years, he discovered that he likes mushrooms.
So, in honor of my growing baby boy and his ever-evolving taste buds, I decided to make Flank Steak with Garlic and Wild Mushrooms.
I was drooling before I even went shopping.
Flank Steak is a terrific cut of meat to use when you are in a hurry. It’s a thinner cut of meat, but still full of flavor and not overly expensive as the premium cuts. This is great when you are feeding a family of five! I used a 2lb slab of meat and cut it in half, for faster even cooking.
With our 13 year old grill out of commission, I decided to pan sear the steak using my grill pan and my new butter.
Flank takes about 15-20 minutes to cook, so I quickly chopped my mushrooms while it cooked. I used white button, shiitake, oyster and enoki for this meal.
When the steaks were ready, I let them rest on the serving platter and melter more butter. Then, I added the meatier white button & shitake mushrooms to cook first.
Next came the oyster mushrooms and some garlic.
I removed the pan from heat, added a dab more of butter, a little Worcestershire sauce and quickly stirred in the enoki. I poured the buttered mushrooms over the flank steaks and garnished with fresh thyme and green onions.
You can serve this with mashed potatoes, buttered noodles, some crusty bread, brown rice or roasted vegetables.
- 2 lb beef flank steak, cut in half
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, ground
- 4 TBS LAND O LAKES® Butter with Olive Oil & Sea Salt, divided
- 8 oz button mushrooms
- 8 oz shitake mushrooms
- 8 oz oyster mushrooms
- 3 1/2 oz enoki mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 TBS thyme, fresh
- 1 green onion, julienned
- Wash flank steak pieces and pat dry with paper towels. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat your grill pan on high heat and melt 1 TBS butter.
When butter is bubbly, add steaks and sear for 7 minutes.
Flip steaks over and cook until desired doneness, about 10 more minutes for medium-rare. NOTE: thicker cuts will require longer cooking times. Baste meat with juices while it is cooking.
- While steak is cooking, cut button mushrooms and shiitake mushrooms into large slices.
- Separate oyster and enoki mushrooms from clumps.
- When steak is cooked to desired doneness, remove from heat and reserve on a serving platter.
- In the hot pan where you were just cooking the steaks, melt 2 TBS butter and let butter get bubbly.
- Sauté sliced mushrooms for 3 minutes until browned, then add the garlic and oyster mushrooms. Cook for 2 more minutes, then remove from heat.
- Stir Worcestershire sauce and remaining 1 TBS butter into the sauce. Continue to stir until butter has completely melted.
- Gently stir in enoki mushrooms.
- Pour the buttered mushrooms over the reserved steaks.
- Garnish with fresh thyme and green onion slices.
- Serve immediately.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with any variety of mushrooms, but make sure to only use edible mushrooms!
Cooking Tips: Enoki mushrooms do not need much heat to cook, so they are added right before serving.