Citrus desserts are simply refreshing. These blueberry lemon bars are not only quick to whip up, but will also disappear just as quickly.
Last week we attended a little elementary school graduation party for my daughter and her posse of dear friends, girls she has been friends with since preschool and kindergarten. These girls are still sweethearts and their families have become wonderful friends to my family.
As we enter the dreaded middle school years for our girls, I know I have these fabulous moms to lean on. To celebrate this pivotal moment in these girls’ lives, I brought some blueberry lemon bars to share. This is my go-to dessert that I know will be devoured by everyone. My aunt gave me this recipe first, and I have adapted it over the years.
One of my favorite variations is adding blueberries to the mix. And since I still had fresh blueberries from a my blueberry picking play date, it was a natural pairing.
I won’t lie. I am an emotional mess over here. My baby girl is not a baby girl any more. And on top of that, I had to say goodbye to teachers that have been an integral part of our lives for the past 8 years. These are the teachers who gave my kids their solid love of learning.
These are the teachers who gave me hugs during those rough patches, celebrated birthdays and made my babies feel like they could learn anything. Many have become dear friends and I have seen them marry, have their own kids and watch them get the recognition they deserve. I have even shared batches of blueberry lemon bars with these amazing teachers.
Milestones. We can’t live without them, so why not bake something special to celebrate these bittersweet moments of life.
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup butter, unsalted, melted
- 2 1/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 TBS all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs, large
- 3 TBS lemon juice
- 1 lemon, grated zest only
- 5 oz fresh blueberries
- 2 TBS powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease a 9" x 13" baking pan and set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl mix together 2 cups flour, 1 cup melted butter and 1/4 cup sugar.
- Press dough evenly into prepared 9" x 13" baking pan. Bake for 15 mins or until very lightly browned.
- In a small bowl sift together remaining 1/3 cup flour and baking powder.
- In a medium-size bowl mix together sugar, eggs, lemon juice and zest until smooth.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture until fully combined.
- Pour over baked crust.
- Sprinkle fresh blueberries over the lemony batter.
- Bake for additional 20-25 mins., or until top has lightly browned.
- Cut bars in the pan while still warm, but do not remove from pan until fully cooled.
- Just before serving, dust top of the bars with powdered sugar.