It seems that this world is broken into two sides: You are either a coffee person or tea. I love the smell of coffee and I love the hint of coffee in my brownies or cakes. But I HATE the taste of a cup of coffee. GASP! Every morning I sit down and enjoy my morning tea. I’ve managed to wean myself off of putting sugar in my tea, I now use Stevia, but it doesn’t take the craving I have for something sweet to accompany my tea.
I added cutting back on sweets to my never-ending list of new year’s resolutions. This week my tea has had my Atkins protein bar for a companion. Not my first choice, but my thighs and butt will be happier.
But I long for a scone, muffin or sweet bread to savor with my lovely cup of tea.
Which brings me to this lovely, and refreshing Lemon Tea Bread. I made three loaves to give as gifts during the holidays. I stole a thin sliver to test for quality control (snort! snort!), but other than that, I didn’t indulge in it. But, I haven’t stopped thinking about it either!
Maybe it’s because of the brownies, rum cake, fudge and other rich sweets I baked (and mostly gave away) during the holidays. Lemons wake up the senses and are frequently used to cleanse the palate. I love the smell of lemons and I love my lemon tree. It’s a very confused lemon tree. It’s unsure of the seasons living here in Southern California. When it’s full of fruit, which it is now, it also has blooms and buds, as well. The lemon tree and the lime are both carefully attended to by my husband. Again, we are a very lemony family.
I really wish I had a slice of this Lemon Tea Bread now. I might have to make a new loaf to hoard for my morning tea.
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, large
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 TBS lemon zest, grated, divided
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 TBS lemon juice
- 1 TBS granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment cream butter, then gradually mix in 1 cup sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until well incorporated.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture.
- On low speed, mix in half the milk.
- Add the remaining half of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, then the remaining milk.
- Add 1 TBLS lemon zest and mix well.
- Apply non-stick spray to a 8"x 4" loaf pan, and pour batter inside.
- Bake bread in oven for 50-60 mins., or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Let the bread rest in the pan for 10 mins., then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- When bread has cooled, in a small bowl mix together powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
- Spoon glaze over the top of the bread, allowing the excess to drip down the sides.
- In a small bowl stir remaining zest and 1 TBLS sugar together. Sprinkle sugared lemon peel over the top of the bread.
Serving Suggestions: Great with oranges, too!
For Lemon-Almond Tea Bread: Stir 1/2 teaspoon almond extract into batter. Proceed as directed.
Recipe adapted from Southern Living, October 2004
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 297Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 189mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 1gSugar: 32gProtein: 4g