A twist on the classic, this Egg BLT includes juicy heirloom tomatoes, spicy arugula, salty bacon and creamy slices of hard boiled eggs.
Alas, summer break has ended in our household. All three kiddos have returned to school this week. This year caught me of guard, as I got teary-eyed seeing Middle Child walk off with his big brother into middle school.
He seemed so small compared to all of the giants in the school.
Middle Child doesn’t like change, so he’s having a adjustment pains as this year. I made sure that one thing remained the same: his favorite lunch. A thermos filled with lemony chicken noodle soup.
I pack a lot of lunches in my house, and it’s not just for the kiddos. My husband likes to take lunch to work, as well. With a summer filled with beach visits and generally living an outdoors life in San Diego, I am pretty good about creating and packing special portable meals.
Many summer gardens are bursting with tomatoes. Last year we had a great harvest of vegetables. I didn’t get to work in my garden much this summer, so I hit the farmer’s markets for those big, fat, gorgeous heirloom tomatoes.
I transformed the ordinary BLT (bacon lettuce tomato sandwich) to an Egg BLT, with slices of hard boiled eggs. Swap out boring lettuce with spicy arugula and this sandwich has zing!
You can make your creation at home or take the ingredients with and assemble at the park while you watch your kiddos during soccer practice. Hard boiled eggs are perfect for picnics!
What goodies are you packing for the playground?
- 3 eggs, large
- ⅜ tsp salt
- ½ lb bacon
- 1 baguette, 12-inches long
- 2 TBS mayonnaise
- 2 oz arugula
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- ⅛ tsp black pepper, ground
- Place eggs and salt in a small pot filled with water. Cover pot and bring to boil. Allow eggs to boil for 2 minutes then turn the heat off and let eggs sit in the hot water for 5 more minutes.
- Remove eggs from hot water and transfer to a bowl of ice water to cool.
- While the eggs are cooking, heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add bacon.
- Cook until both sides of bacon are cooked and crispy, approximately 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to cool and remove the excess grease.
- Slice baguette in half lengthwise.
- Toast bread, if desired, then spread mayonnaise on the inside of the bread.
- Start layering arugula and tomatoes into the bread. Add bacon over the tomatoes.
- Peel the hardboiled eggs and slice. Layer the egg slices over the bacon.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the top half of the baguette on your sandwich, cut in half and serve.
Serving Suggestions: Add some fresh basil or tarragon for more zing and flavor.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1202Total Fat: 62gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 39gCholesterol: 397mgSodium: 3535mgCarbohydrates: 93gFiber: 6gSugar: 12gProtein: 67g
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback.
You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my eMail list, too!