Keep the flavors of Thanksgiving but give it a nutritional upgrade in this Whole Wheat Moist Stuffing with Swiss Chard.
I love Thanksgiving. Love it, love it, LOVE IT! I love the fact that this holiday does not involve gifts. It does not involve religion. And more importantly, it is all about counting your blessings and being with your loved ones.
My mother is a great cook and being Persian, we would also have some basmati rice on our Thanksgiving table. But she made a mean stuffing. None of that boxed stuff and none of that dry, suck-the-water-right-out-of-your-mouth kinda stuffing.
It’s moist stuffing that has plenty of celery in it and lots of sage. YUM!
This whole wheat moist stuffing is my version of the classic stuffing my mom made. I made it a little more healthy with the use of whole wheat bread and the addition of Swiss chard. Sometimes I use kale, instead.
And you know what? It still tastes amazing!
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bunch of celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 oz swiss chard, chopped
- 1 loaf of whole wheat bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cup chicken broth
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and add olive oil, onion, and celery. Cook until vegetables start to soften, approximately 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and swiss chard. Continue cooking and stirring for 5 more minutes.
- Mix in whole wheat bread cubes, fresh sage and pepper. Stir well, then pour in chicken broth.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 30-40 minutes. You can also put stuffing in a 9 x 11 Pyrex dish and bake at 350ºF for 30-40 minutes. Cover with foil to keep moist. If you like a crispier stuffing, keep uncovered.
- Serve warm
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback.
You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my eMail list, too!