This Mediterranean wrap is easy to put together and provides plenty of flavor to impress. Great for a meal or cut into pinwheels as a fabulous appetizer.
I love sandwiches. I love making sandwiches and I love eating them. With so many different flavor combinations to choose from, the varieties may be endless.
My husband loves it when I make him a sandwich, whether it’s a breakfast bagel or an Italian grinder. Today I am sharing another favorite sandwich I make for him, this Mediterranean wrap with mortadella.
Why this recipe rocks
This sandwich is so crazy easy to make and so full of flavor. It really is a simple way to wow your spouse or guests with a sandwich!
Whether you are enjoying lunch at home or packing up a meal for a picnic, this mediterranean wrap will certainly aim to please. Classic mediterranean flavors include goat cheese and herbs. Mortadella is the meat I used and added the crunch of radishes.
Also tucked inside you will find artichoke hearts and sun dried tomatoes. It really is a delicious treat.
I used pita rounds, but you can also use any flat bread. If you want, you can roll them up, cut them into pinwheels and serve as an appetizer.
Ingredients you need
- Marinated artichoke hearts: Be sure to drain the artichokes before using them. If you aren’t a fan of artichoke hearts, you can also use kalamata olives.
- Fresh herbs: I use a variety of herbs, but you can stick with just one if you prefer. My favorites are basil, mint and tarragon.
- Mortadella: Similar to bologna, mortadella is popular in Italy as well as the middle east. You can find all beef varieties, pork or a mixture of meats. Some have pistachio, too.
- Sun dried tomatoes: I prefer sun dried tomatoes packed in oil, but you can use the plain variety, as well. If using the oil variety, again be sure to drain them first.
- Spreadable cheese spread: I used garlic and herb Boursin, but you can also use another flavor or plain goat cheese.
- Pita bread: You can also use any flat bread like lavash or naan.
- Peperoncinis (optional)
1. Lay pitas flat on a work surface. Spread on half of each pita round with the cheese.
2. Add a layer of mortadella over the cheese, 4 slices per pita round.
3. Add herbs, radishes, sun dried tomatoes artichoke hearts and peperoncinis.
4. Roll pita up and serve.
- ¼ cup marinated artichoke hearts, drained and thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup fresh basil, julienned
- ⅓ cup fresh mint, julienned
- 20 slices of mortadella
- ⅓ cup fresh tarragon leaves
- 4 TBS sun dried tomatoes, packed in oil, drained and thinly sliced
- 4 large radishes, thinly sliced
- 5 ¼ oz package of garlic and herb spreadable cheese, like Boursin or Alouette
- 4 pitas
- 2 peperoncinis, julienned
- Lay pitas flat on a work surface.
- Spread on half of each pita round with the cheese.
- Add a layer of mortadella over the cheese, 4 slices per pita round.
- Add herbs, radishes, sun dried tomatoes artichoke hearts and peperoncinis,.
- Roll pita up and serve.
You can also use flat bread like lavash instead of pita.4
Serving Size:1 wrap
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 515Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 1829mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 22g
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback.
You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my eMail list, too!