This Dutch Oven Kalamata Olive and Sun Dried Tomato Pot Roast is a great Italian twist to the classic family pot roast that can easily be made at home or in a Dutch oven over a campfire. Find more of my cast iron campfire Dutch oven recipes.
Pot roast is one of those classic family dinners. And why not? It’s easy to make, can be made in the slow cooker or in a Dutch oven. It’s also a very inexpensive cut of meat whether on sale or not.
I have listed many versions of the pot roast, and now I have added another: Kalamata Olive and Sun Dried Tomato Pot Roast. It’s a great Italian twist on this classic dish.
My hubby will be credited to finding the recipe in his Scouting Magazine. He left the magazine open to the recipe and left it on the counter for me.
“Honey, this looks so good! We have to try it!”
How could I say no?
This is s a tasty and easy meal to make over the coals while camping with your cast iron Dutch oven. Of course, my hubby was willing to bring out the coals for this one, but I opted for the convenience of cooking in my kitchen using the oven.
It still tasted great. With a few modifications, this dish is full of flavor using yummy Kalamata olives, sun-dried tomatoes, pearl onions and great Italian herbs.
I served it with crispy medallions of lightly fried polenta. It was my first time using polenta and the kids really liked them. You could also use a hearty bread or herbed bread to go with it.
- 3 1/2 lb beef chuck roast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, packed in oil, cut in thin slices
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and quartered
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- Preheat the oven to 275º F.
- Season beef with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add olive oil.
- When is hot, add roast and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Turn meat over and brown other side, another 5 minutes.
- Pour beef broth over all over the browned roast.
- Evenly sprinkle brown sugar, spices, garlic, sun dried tomatoes and olives over the roast.
- Cover and cook in the oven for 3 hours, or until meat is fork tender.
- During last hour of cooking add frozen pearl onions.
- Season to taste and serve.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with polenta (fried polenta pictured above), rice, buttered noodles or with some hearty bread.
Cooking Tips: You can also prepare this over a campfire.You will need a 12-inch cast iron Dutch oven with 13 hot coals on top and 7 coals on the bottom. Cook for 3-5 hours.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 552Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 165mgSodium: 561mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 50g