A collection of innovative hummus recipes, including an Italian Artichoke Hummus.
I suppose I should be flattered. My husband likes to spring dinner guests on me last minute. If I’m lucky, I get 36 hours notice. I suppose he has seen me pull it off before effortlessly. Of course, he’s usually at work and doesn’t see me frantically running around the house cleaning up and cooking and unpacking the groceries. He does get an earful of complaints from me, or as he tends to hear it, “Blah! Blah! Blah!”
Luckily, I usually wipe my scowl off right before my guests arrive, pleased that I did pull it off. Again. But don’t be surprised if you find a hummus dip greeting you when you walk in.
I love making hummus, of all varieties. More importantly, it’s just super easy to whip together. I’ve varied the beans (garbanzo, navy, black) and I’ve added extra ingredients, too (sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, pumpkin). They all turn out great.
This particular recipe is for Italian Artichoke Hummus. I puréed the artichoke hearts with the garbanzo beans and tahini. I ended up with a fluffy (yes FLUFFY) hummus that was amazing. Seasoned with lemon juice and your all-purpose Italian Seasoning and my appetizer was ready.
And your guests won’t realize that you didn’t stress over the hors d’oeuvres.
- 15 oz garbanzo beans, canned, drained
- 14 oz artichoke hearts, canned, quartered & drained of liquid
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, ground
- 2 TBS artichoke hearts, canned, chopped
- 2 TBS kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Purée garbanzo beans, artichoke hearts, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper in a food processor until smooth.
- Spread hummus into a shallow serving bowl and garnish with additional artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, olive oil and Italian seasoning.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with vegetables, pita bread or your favorite chips.