This creamy and delicious avocado hummus fuses two beloved dips, guacamole and hummus into an incredible and healthy snack.
I think I’ve made myself quite clear that my family and I love and adore avocados. Our favorite way to enjoy them is straight up with lemon and salt. Our second favorite way to enjoy avocados is guacamole.
Living in San Diego, we enjoy lots of Mexican food and of course, avocados. My latest obsession with this fabulous fruit? It’s this avocado hummus.
Why this recipe is so great
I know, I know. Why mess with a great guacamole? It’s perfect the way it is. Well, I thought so too and then I tried some smoked guacamole. WOWZA that was incredible.
My family is also a huge fan of hummus. Our favorite is the garlic hummus my husband makes. It is so garlicky and lemony. So why not fuse the two and make a avocado hummus.
Honestly, it’s the best of both worlds. Don’t knock it ’til you tried it.
This dip works with any ripe avocado from the beloved haas to the fuerte and even the large reed varieties.
Ingredients you need
- Cannellini beans: I chose to use white cannellini beans for the hummus base, but you can stick with the traditional garbanzo beans if you prefer.
- Lime juice: You can also use lemon juice.
- Fresh cilantro
- Salt and cayenne pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Garnish: grape tomatoes and onions
1. In the bowl of a food processor, add cannellini beans, avocado, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, salt and cayenne pepper and purée until smooth.
2. While the food processor is still running, pour in extra virgin olive oil. Continue until well combined.
3. In a small bowl, combine grape tomatoes, 1 TBS fresh cilantro, onion, remaining ½ tsp extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
4. Spread hummus into a shallow serving bowl and garnish with tomato mixture. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- 15 oz can of cannellini beans, drained
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup, plus 1 TBS fresh cilantro, loosely packed, divided
- ⅜ tsp salt,
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 TBS, plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 TBS onion, chopped
- ¼ tsp lemon juice
- In the bowl of a food processor, puree cannellini beans, avocado, lime juice, garlic, ½ cup cilantro, salt and cayenne pepper until smooth.
- While the food processor is still running, pour in slowly, 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil. Continue until well combined.
- In a small bowl, combine grape tomatoes, 1 TBS fresh cilantro, onion, remaining ½ tsp extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Spread hummus into a shallow serving bowl and garnish with tomato mixture.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with vegetables or tortilla chips.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 165Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 155mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 7gSugar: 1gProtein: 8g
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback.
You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my eMail list, too!