These cheesy crab stuffed mushrooms are over-flowing with a delicious crab filling and crunchy bread crumb topping that are so easy to whip up.
I love mushrooms. Well, that’s an understatement. I absolutely adore anything and everything with mushrooms. And stuffed mushrooms? I haven’t met a stuffed mushroom that I could resist.
Stuffed mushrooms make the perfect party appetizer because they are bite sized, in their own edible container, and you can make a platter full without much work and fuss on your end.
What’s so great about this dish?
This crab stuffing are cheesy and full own with flavor. They are not super complicated to make and the prep work only takes about 10 minutes before you pop them in the oven. No fancy cooking skills required.
You can make them spicy with hot sauce, or keep them mild and omit them.
You can scale up the recipe to make enough for an army, or scale it down for just the two of you.
It is a very versatile recipe that you can personalize to your own taste. Honestly, I could seriously eat the entire platter, these crab mushrooms were THAT good.
Ingredients you will need
- Large Mushrooms: You can use baby bella or large white mushrooms, whatever you can find will work.
- Lump Crab Meat: I use real crab meat for this recipe, but you can also use artificial crab. Just note that the artificial crab meat is on the sweet side. You can also use shrimp, either chop up large shrimp or use the small baby shrimp.
- Breadcrumbs: Seasoned breadcrumbs add more flavor, so I prefer that variety. Panko crumbs are bigger and can also be used.
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese: Mozzarella melts beautifully and has a mild flavor. You can also use Monterey Jack cheese. If you want to add some more heat, try using Pepper Jack.
- Parmesan Cheese: I’m all about adding different cheeses together for flavor. You can also use Romano or a combination of the two.
- Parsley: A little green herbs adds a touch of color and flavor. You can also use chives, basil or thyme.
- Olive Oil: Extra virgin olive oil is mixed in the breadcrumbs and parmesan for the crumbly topping. You also use a pat of butter. Just melt it and mix it in.
- More Flavorings: lemon juice, dijon mustard, hot sauce, salt and pepper
Recipe Step-by-Step Instructions
1. Make the stuffing. In a medium sized bowl, combine the crab meat, breadcrumbs, mozzarella, dijon, parmesan, parsley, hot sauce, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Be sure that it is combined thoroughly so all the flavors are evenly distributed.
2. Make the bread crumb topping. In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, parmesan and olive oil and set aside.
3. Prep the mushrooms. Using a damp paper towel gently clean the mushrooms of any dirt or debris – do not wash! Remove the stems and clean the shell that will hold the crab stuffing.
4. Stuff the mushrooms. Using a tablespoon or small spoon, stuff the mushrooms with crab filling. Add an additional mound on top and press firmly.
5. Bake the mushrooms. Top mushrooms with the breadcrumb mixture and bake in a 375ºF oven for 30 to 40 minutes. Mushrooms will have softened and the breadcrumb topping will be golden brown.
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQS
It really is difficult to screw up this recipe. You could over cook and burn the mushrooms, so set the timer and check on them after 30 minutes.
- Mushrooms are little sponges that are filled with water. If they are dirty, just wipe them with a damp cloth and don’t wash them in water. You don’t want them to absorb more water because all of that moisture will come out while they bake, making your stuffed mushrooms mushy.
- You can prepare the mushrooms and make the crab stuffing a day or two in advance. The breadcrumb topping should be made right before you bake the mushrooms.
Mushrooms are sponges that suck up water so DO NOT soak or wash in water. Do not stuff them with a liquidy stuffing and bake the mushrooms at high heat, 375-400ºF.
You can keep the cooked stuffed mushrooms in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
You can reheat them in the microwave or in the oven at 325ºF for about 15 minutes.
- 16 large baby portabella mushrooms, stems removed
- 6 oz lump crab meat, canned
- ½ cup breadcrumbs, seasoned, divided
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 TBS dijon mustard
- 3 TBS Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 TBS parsley, American, chopped
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- ¼ tsp hot sauce
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper, ground
- 1 ½ tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Grease a small baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Using a damp paper towel gently clean the mushrooms of any dirt or debris.
- In a small bowl, mix together crab meat, ¼ cup breadcrumbs, mozzarella, mustard, 2 TBS parmesan, parsley, lemon juice, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
- Stuff crab filling evenly among the mushroom caps.
- In another small bowl, mix together remaining breadcrumbs, extra virgin olive oil and 1 TBS parmesan.
- Top each mushroom evenly with bread crumb mix and bake mushrooms for 40 minutes, until filling is bubbly and tops are browned.
The amount of stuffed mushrooms this recipe yields depends on how much you stuff the mushrooms and how big the mushrooms are.
You can also stuff a large portobello mushroom for a delicious lunch.
Serving Size:2 mushrooms
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 52Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 192mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback.
You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my eMail list, too!