Today’s cookie recipe is brought to you by my mother. My mom was a micro-paleontologist. She has a PhD and is one of the first women to break through in this field of study. She is also an amazing cook. I was raised in Houston, Texas and enjoyed Persian food as well as amazing seafood delights like shrimp scampi. My mom, though, is a terrible baker.
Any baking done in our house when I was growing up was done by me. And it was mostly the box stuff: cake, muffins, brownies. My mom taught me to cook. Girl Scouts taught me to read directions on a box and bake. And once I got the baking bug, I never stopped.
One cookie that my mother does bake are these Sand Tarts. She loves them so much that she sent me the recipe in the hopes that I fall in love with them, too. You have probably seen it in a different name, Mexican Wedding Cookies or Crescents.
Made with chopped pecans, for a Southern twist, and rolled into balls, the cookies are baked and then rolled in powdered sugar while still warm. They really are delicious with a cup of tea… Of course, I always love having something sweet with my tea!
My mom has baked another delightful dessert. And you can find the sherry bar recipe here. Man I love cookie season!
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup butter, unsalted, softened
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar, divided
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grind pecans in a food processor until fine crumbs
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, mix together butter and ½ cup powdered sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in ground pecans, flour, vanilla and salt until just combined.
- Scoop up a tablespoon size amount of dough and roll into small balls, or shape into crescents. Do not overwork the dough or pack too tightly or the cookie will be tough.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Bake for 20 minutes until lightly golden.
- Remove from oven and place baking sheet on cooling rack for 1 minute.
- Roll warm cookies in 1 cup powdered sugar.
- Place cookies on cooling rack to cool completely.
Serving Suggestions: Also great with walnuts and almonds.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 98Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 8mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g