This is the time of year where everyone is cooking with pumpkin. You’ll find all these fabulous recipes on the web filled with pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg. Whether you get your pumpkin purée from a can or roast your pumpkin yourself, you probably have that little bit of leftover purée sitting in your fridge. It’s not enough for another loaf of pumpkin bread, so what do you do?
Here are 10 Ways To Add Pumpkin Goodness In Your Menu, even if it’s only a tablespoon:
1. Oatmeal: Spoon a little pumpkin and a dash of cinnamon into your bowl for a great start to your morning!
2. Smoothie: Sneak some pumpkin in the kids’ smoothie to thicken and sweeten it.
3. Pancakes & Waffles: You can add a bit of pumpkin to your recipe, just reduce the butter, too. Or, follow this recipe for Pumpkin Waffles!
4. Sandwiches: Spread some on your sandwich instead of mayonnaise to add fall flavor to any sandwich: turkey, chicken breast, roast beef or ham!
5. Hummus: Oh yeah, it really is good. A healthy snack for after-school. Here’s a not-to-sweet Pumpkin Hummus recipe!
6. Pizza: Spread pumpkin instead of sauce or add pumpkin to your pizza sauce for added nutrition.
7. Mashed Potatoes: Whip a dash of pumpkin in with your creamy mashed potatoes and you’ve got orange potatoes that the kids will adore!
8. Macaroni & Cheese: Another kid favorite that is screaming for pumpkin goodness. And you can add it to the boxed variety or to homemade mac & cheese.
9. Chili: For that sweet and spicy chili, you can add up to half a cup of pumpkin to a large pot of chili.
10. Marinara: Tomatoes are high in acid and marinara sauce could use a little sweetness to counter it. Pumpkin is way better and healthier than table sugar!
I hope these ideas helped – And NONE of them were bread or dessert recipes!
Happy Pumpkin Season!