If you are looking for a red currant recipe, they add a wonderful sweet and sour flavor and gorgeous color in this red currant mojito.
Yes, the heat wave is continuing here in San Diego. Our normally balmy 73ºF weather has been replaced with 90ºF-sticky, yucky weather. It’s so bad, that I have been running my air conditioner since July. Gasp. Seriously, this is unheard of here in San Diego.
Of course, the scorching weather didn’t stop my San Diego Chargers on Sunday. Did you see them stomp the Seahawks? And the temperature on the field was 120ºF! Now that’s smoking HOT!
Why you should try this recipe
I found some red currants in my grocery store, which never happens here in San Diego. What a treat! These sweet and sour jewels were a perfect addition to my favorite mojito.
And what a beautiful color, too.
I loved them so much that I made some red currant scones, too!
Ingredients you need
- Fresh Mint: Mojitos are made by muddling fresh fruit with mint leaves. Use fresh not dried.
- Red currants: Make sure they are ripe and sweet.
- Lime: Another classic ingredient to the mojito. You could also use lemon instead.
- Granulated sugar: This balances out the tartness of the fruit and lime, plus helps break down the mint leaves when muddling.
- White rum: Just your favorite plain rum works.
- Club soda: Any brand of club soda is great.
1. In a cocktail shaker crush together mint leaves, lime wedges, red currants and sugar. Add rum and shake well.
2. Fill two glasses with ice (1 cup per glass) Pour red currant mixture evenly between the two glasses and top with club soda and serve!
- 8 large leaves of mint, fresh
- ½ lime, sliced into wedges
- 2 oz fresh red currants,
- 2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 4 oz white rum
- 2 cup ice, (1 cup per glass)
- 4 oz club soda, (2 oz each glass)
- In a cocktail shaker crush together mint leaves, lime wedges, red currants and sugar.
- Add rum and shake well.
- Fill two glasses with ice (1 cup per glass)
- Pour red currant mixture evenly between the two glasses and top with club soda and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 5mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback.
You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my eMail list, too!