Learn about the Persian spice Golpar, Persian Hogwood. Includes recipes featuring this exotic spice, including a simple dish of pomegranate with golpar.
There are some things in Farsi that easy to translate into English. Then you find these Persian proverbs and sayings and they completely lose their meaning in English.
Then there are the Persian words that have absolutely no English equivalent. But, I suppose most languages have this problem with English.
For example, “pomegranate” in Farsi is anar (a-naar). That’s easy. And many Persians enjoy their pomegranate with the spice, golpar. But what is golpar? Most spice companies list golpar as “angelica powder.”
Wikipedia and other sources say this is not correct, that golpar is really ground seeds from Persian Hogweed (Heracleum persicum).
What I do know is that Americans just don’t use this stuff. It can only be found online and in Middle-Eastern markets. Golpar is extremely aromatic and slightly bitter. Persians also like to sprinkle this spice over fava beans, torshi (pickled vegetables) and other vegetarian dishes.
For those of you who have found golpar, here are some other recipes featuring this very magical spice:
- Lentil Salad (Salad-eh Adas) by My Persian Kitchen
- Persian Mixed Vegetable Pickle (Torshi Makhloot) by Turmeric and Saffron
- Olive, Pistachio and Pomegranate Salad by Najmieh Batmanglij
- Salt & Golpar (Golpar Namak) by My Persian Feast
- Persian Style Lentils (Adasi) by The Pomegranate Diaries
- Cooked Fava Beans (Baghali Pokhteh) by Fig and Quince
- Cucumber Pomegranate Salad (Salad-e Khiar-o Anar) by Kikipotamus the Hobo
- Spiced Labneh by Veggiestan
Store golpar in a glass jar, as it can totally overwhelm your pantry if kept in a ziploc bag. And did I mention it’s pomegranate season??????!!!
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 tsp golpar
- Seed the pomegranate using these directions.
- Divide pomegranate arils into two bowls.
- Top pomegranate in each bowl with 1/2 tsp golpar and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 bowl
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 117 Total Fat: 2g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 4mg Carbohydrates: 26g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 19g Protein: 2g