I admit that I have a soft spot for most things fried. Who can resist the crispy, crunchy texture? Of course, the healthy-mom-and-wife in me is shouting, “NO WAY!” But, my husband still sneaks off to KFC with the co-workers to get his fix of fried chicken. What to do?
I found this recipe for Oven Fried Chicken years ago from an old Cooking Light magazine, and this has become a staple in my family’s menu for years. The kids love the taste, the husband loves the crunch and the taste, and I love that it’s easy to make and easy on the arteries.
I introduced this recipe to my girls during my cooking camp last summer and they ate it all up. It really is ridiculously easy to throw together. The key is to use bone-in chicken legs and thighs. Do not use boneless chicken without adjusting the cooking times or you will end up with dried up meat.
This makes great picnic and potluck food. I have taken a tray of oven friend chicken to boy scout events, NJROTC picnics, beach parties and the like. Everyone loves it.
There’s nothing Earth-shattering with the recipe, just a touch of melted butter, some flour and an assortment of spices. You are basically roasting the chicken pieces of your choice (my personal favorite way to cook). There is minimal fuss and work in the kitchen. And, you get a lot of bang from your oven fried chicken.
I love making a big batch of oven fried chicken and keeping it handy in the fridge for quick lunches or to pack up to go. I typically reheat it in the toaster so it gets back to being crunchified and crispy.
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 TBS butter, unsalted, melted
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- In a small bowl whisk together paprika, salt, lemon pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
- In a large bowl toss chicken drumsticks and thighs together with half the seasoning mix (approx 2 1/2 tsp)
- In a ziploc bag or a shallow bowl combine flour with remaining seasoning mix.
- Place one piece of seasoned chicken at a time in the flour mixture and press to coat evenly.
- Put chicken, skin side up, on a broiler pan coated with non-stick spray.
- Drizzle melted butter all over the chicken.
- Bake chicken for 45-50 minutes until skin is crispy, and juices run clear.
- Remove chicken from the broiler pan and let it rest 5 minutes on a plate lined with 2-3 layers of paper towels.
- Place chicken on serving platter and serve hot or room temperature. Also tastes great cold, right from the refrigerator.
Serving Suggestions: Great for the dinner table or on a picnic blanket.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 505Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 287mgSodium: 854mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 54g