Whether you are preparing a special brunch or need a quick breakfast on the go, this cream cheese avocado spread is perfect on bagels or toast.
Weekends are a time to slow down, have a nice family breakfast, maybe even host a brunch with friends. With the kids and their schedule and multiple activities, the only time we can together with grandparents or other extended family is with a family brunch.
Here in California, we love our avocados and we put it on everything, eggs, toast, tacos, soup, you name it. So I was excited when my friend Mimi/Mimi Avocado invited me to her avocado ranch and to tour a local avocado packing plant.
It was a fabulous experience and I learned a tremendous amount about how this beloved fruit goes from farm to store. My favorite part of the visit was visiting Mimi’s avocado groves and walking amongst the trees.
And of course, Mimi was generous enough to send her homes with a box of her delicious avocados. You can get your own gorgeous avocados straight from Mimi’s farm. Their premium avocados are hand-picked and immediately packaged into gift boxes and shipped through California Avocados Direct.
Why you have to make this recipe
When you have as many family living nearby as I do, you find yourself entertaining a lot. Sometimes they are formal dinners, other times they are casual pot lucks. I especially like hosting breakfasts and brunches because the meals are lighter – and I am a huge fan of the morning meal!
You have heard of the avocado toast, the simple meal of fresh avocados spread on well, toast. This cream cheese avocado spread is a cross between the simple avocado toast and the fancy breakfast bagel you can get at a deli.
The cheese spread includes avocados, cream cheese and goat cheese. You easily prepare it in advance. You can garnish your toast with more deliciousness or just enjoy the avocado spread plain.
It’s a delicious and easy way to dress up the most important meal of the day!
Ingredients you need
- Avocado: You can use any type of avocado for this spread: haas, fuerte or reed, for example. Just be sure they are ripe and do not have black spots.
- Cream cheese
- Goat cheese
- Lemon juice: The citric acid in lemon juice helps keep the spread from browning.
- Serve with bagels, cucumbers, tomatoes, fresh basil
1. Place avocado, cream cheese, goat cheese, lemon juice and salt together in a large bowl and use a hand mixer to whip everything together until smooth and creamy, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl.
2. Serve with bagels, cucumbers, tomatoes, and basil.
Recipe tips and FAQs
You can use a variety of toppings you can use on your bagel or toast. Here are some more suggestions:
- Fresh basil
- Fresh cilantro
Avocados do not ripen on the tree, but ripen once picked. It can take 7-10 days for an avocado to ripen after being removed from the tree. If you open a ripe avocado and see spots, then most likely it was an old avocado held in cold storage.
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded & cut into chunks
- 3 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 oz goat cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 12 bagels
- 2 Persian cucumbers, sliced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1 oz basil, fresh
- Place avocado, cream cheese, goat cheese, lemon juice and salt together in a large bowl.
- Using a hand mixer, whip the ingredients together until smooth and creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer cheese mixture to a serving bowl.
- Serve with bagels, cucumbers, tomatoes, and basil.
Serving Suggestions: You can also use this cheese spread on vegetables, like celery, cucumbers or peppers. Add other great toppings to your spread like capers, smoked salmon, bell peppers or other favorite fresh herbs.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 532Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 785mgCarbohydrates: 88gFiber: 5gSugar: 15gProtein: 20g
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback.
You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my eMail list, too!