Easy steps on how to wean your family off unprocessed foods and how to develop healthier eating habits and healthy snacks like these Baked Sweet Potato Chips.
As I mentioned last week, my friend, Andrew, of Eating Rules has challenged us to eat unprocessed foods for the month of October. For some this is a no-brainer, but for others it can be a daunting task.
Today at Eating Rules, I am sharing my tips on how to take baby steps to get your family eating healthier and eventually, unprocessed. I am also sharing my recipe for baked sweet potato chips – an easy, sweet and salty snack that your kids will love.
Check out my post here at Eating Rules. And it’s not too late to change your diet, read the labels and sign up to challenge yourself to go unprocessed for the month of October!
One simple unprocessed snack recipe are these baked sweet potato chips. Simply slice the potatoes thinly, coat with olive oil and bake! A simple sprinkle of salt and you are ready to snack!
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Scrub the sweet potato clean and pat dry.
- Using a mandolin, cut the sweet potato into 1/8-inch slices.
- Place sweet potato slices in a bowl and coat both sides with olive oil, salt, paprika and pepper.
- Place the sweet potato slices on a baking sheet in one layer, making sure the slices are not touching each other.
- Bake for 12 minutes, then flip over. Bake for an additional 10-12 minutes until edges start to brown and crisp. The last 3-5 minutes are crucial as the chips can quickly go from perfect to burnt, so remove promptly when edges are starting to brown.
- Allow the chips to cool on the baking sheet to crisp further.
Serving Suggestions: Serve alone or with your favorite dip!
Cooking Tips: The key to making these chips is to make sure all of the chips are the same thickness and approximate size. Smaller pieces will brown faster and will need to removed before the larger slices are done baking. These sweet potato chips have crispy edges and softer centers. For super crispy chips, slice to 1/16 inch thickness and bake at 385ºF for 10-12 minutes total, and do not flip the slices over. Allow the chips to cool on the baking sheet until crisp.