Whether you are making breakfast for yourself or a crowd, this Baked Eggs with Kale and Mushrooms is a healthier way to enjoy your eggs and vegetables. Sponsored by Davidsons Safest Choice Eggs™.
Some mornings are just a blur, especially when my focus is on getting the kiddos off to school or chasing down my carpool load. There are times I only have time for a protein bar, which only keeps me happy for a couple hours. Then I’m hangry and frantically looking for something to satisfy my appetite.
What I really enjoy for breakfast are my egg skillet creations. It really doesn’t take long to whip up, but my focus the first thing in the morning are the kids: their breakfast, packing their lunches and getting them out of the door in decent condition.
After they leave or when I return from carpool, I take a breath, listen to the silence and make myself a breakfast like these Baked Eggs with Kale and Mushrooms. There is something about my favorite breakfast vegetables and two sunny side up eggs that not only satisfies my taste buds but also keeps me energized through the day.
I am definitely not hungry after two hours of eating this skillet breakfast. After sautéing the vegetables and adding your egg, you can finish it all off in the oven. Or, if you want, put a lid on it and finish cooking the eggs on the stove top.
I like my eggs with a dash of hot sauce, and I like them a little runny. As I mentioned before, I’m happy to be working with Safest Choice Pasteurized Eggs. I can enjoy my runny eggs without worrying about salmonella poisoning.
What’s on your breakfast plate this holiday? Having a healthy breakfast or being a little naughty?!
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- ⅛ tsp turmeric, dried
- ¼ cup onions, chopped
- 2 mushrooms
- 1 cup kale, finely chopped
- 1 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 2 eggs, large
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper, ground
- ½ tsp hot sauce, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Heat a small cast iron skillet over medium high heat and add olive oil.
- When oil is hot, sauté onions, mushrooms and turmeric until vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in kale and Roma tomatoes.
- Open up two small circles in the vegetables and crack an egg into each hole.
- Remove skillet from heat and place in the hot oven. Cook until desired doneness, 8-10 minutes for slightly undercooked eggs.
- Season eggs with salt, pepper and hot sauce.
- Serve hot.
Serving Suggestions: Serve alone or with bread.
Cooking Tips: Other great vegetables to use: spinach, bell peppers and potatoes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 344Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 372mgSodium: 519mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 17g