These dreamy coconut cupcakes are moist and packed with shredded coconut both inside and out.
Goodness, I haven’t baked anything since Christmas, much to my children’s protest. After a month of indulging in sugar and chocolate, I was done with it all. So done that I didn’t realize that I was almost out of flour and sugar! Not in my house!
My kids were excited to come home from school and smell the sweet smell of Mommy baking something.
“What are you making? Cookies? Cupcakes?”
My husband wasn’t as thrilled. “Really, Laura, do you need to eat that?”
God bless the man. Subtleness is not one of his strong points. I explained to him that these cupcakes were not for me, but for the children. We all know they are fans of coconut… sometimes… Well, I was committed with Barefoot Bloggers and I wanted to make these cupcakes, OKAY?
Ahem. Excuse me.
It was a good thing my husband wasn’t around when I was mixing the batter. I always like to sneak a taste of a dessert batter, to get a preview of what is to come. You can tell a lot from the batter.
And after making many cakes, cookies and bars, there are only a few batters that make me lick the bowl clean. This is one of those batters. Maybe it was because I hadn’t baked in over a month. Or maybe it was because this thing was absolutely irresistible!
Would the cupcake taste just as good?
Now I usually don’t have buttermilk in my fridge. I know there are religious cults over buttermilk, but the stuff just goes bad too quickly for me. I always have yogurt and milk and so I substituted the 1 cup buttermilk for 2/3 cup of plain yogurt and 1/3 cup of milk.
The cupcakes turned out fluffy, moist and a refreshing change from the standard choices of vanilla or chocolate.
This is one cupcake recipe that I will DEFINITELY make again!
- 1 1/2 lb butter, unsalted, room temperature
- 2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 eggs, extra-large
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2/3 cup yogurt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 14 oz coconut, sweetened, shredded, divided
- 1 lb cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/2 lb powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 325ºF Spray a 24-cup muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray or line with paper cups. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, mix butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy (about 5 min).
- Mix in eggs, one at a time, beating for 30 seconds after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract, almond extract until just incorporated.
- In a medium-sized bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add half the flour mixture to the batter.
- Mix in yogurt and milk. Beat until well combined.
- Add remaining flour mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Gently fold in half of the coconut.
- Fill each muffin cup 3/4 up to the top with batter. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove cupcakes from the pan and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- To make the frosting, use a stand mixer with paddle attachment mix cream cheese, butter, vanilla and almond extracts, with powdered sugar on low speed until smooth.
- Frost cupcakes and top with remaining coconut
Recipe adapted from Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 601Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 124mgSodium: 228mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 2gSugar: 52gProtein: 5g