Baby purple artichokes are small, meaty and full of flavor. Roasted in the oven, these tequila lime purple artichokes make a great appetizer or snack.
I think I’m in love. Actually, I know I’m in love. Sssh!! Don’t tell my husband. It’s my new camera lens. I’m so in love with this new lens that it’s making simple food photography so much fun. After years of photography frustration, I’m finally happy with my pictures.
And honestly, I’m not just in love with my new lens. I’m also in love with these gorgeous Fiesole Baby Purple Artichokes!
To celebrate their Artichoke Festival, Frieda’s Produce sent me these unbelievably stunning artichokes to photograph, to cook and to frankly, fall in love with. I couldn’t stop taking pictures of them.
Why you have to make this recipe
If you are lucky enough to find these purple beauties, you will be happy to know that these little artichokes are tender and with no hairy choke inside to fuss with, unlike the larger artichoke varieties.
I admit I was feeling giddy with these lovelies… so I broke out the tequila! Sssh!! Don’t tell my husband!! He’s very possessive about his tequila!
These Tequila Lime Purple Artichokes are super easy to prepare. A 5 minute steam bath followed by 5 minutes roasting in the oven. A little drizzle of tequila on their bodies and an easy tequila lime dipping sauce to dunk them in.
Ingredients you need
- Fiesole baby purple artichokes: You can use any variety of baby artichokes for this recipe.
- Fresh mint: This is optional, but I added mint to the steaming water for fragrance and flavor.
- Extra virgin olive oil: Yes, you can roast and cook with olive oil!! Choose a high quality extra virgin olive oil. Learn more about olive oil and the myths about cooking with it here.
- Mayonnaise: You can use homemade or store bought mayo.
- Tequila: Any tequila will do, but the better the quality, the better the flavor.
- Lime juice: You can substitute with lemon juice.
- Seasonings: garlic powder, salt and pepper
1. Wash baby artichokes, peel back outer leaves and cut in half lengthwise.
2. Bring 2 to 3 inches of water to boil in a pot and drop in mint. Add a steamer basket over the water and place the artichokes into the steamer basket. Cover tightly, and steam until just tender, about 5 minutes. Note that artichokes lose their vibrant color after steamed.
3. Cool slightly, drain well and coat artichokes evenly with olive oil. Arrange in a single layer on a roasting pan and bake for 5 minutes.
4. While artichokes roast, whisk together mayonnaise, tequila, lime juice, mint, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper.
5. Remove artichokes from the oven and season with salt and black pepper. Place artichokes on a serving plate and drizzle with a bit of tequila. Serve artichokes warm or at room temperature with dipping sauce.
Recipe tips and FAQs
Need more recipes using baby artichokes? Try my recipe for Braised Baby Purple Artichokes with Olive Oil and Wine or Braised Baby Artichokes and Mushrooms with Garlic and Lemon.
Baby artichokes are just as the name suggests, immature artichokes that are not fully formed. Large mature artichokes have a hairy choke, but baby artichokes do not have a choke. Baby artichoke leaves are also more tender than mature artichokes.
- 1 lb Fiesole Baby Purple Artichokes
- ½ cup fresh mint (optional)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 3 TBS tequila
- 1 ½ TBS lime juice
- 3 tsp chopped fresh mint
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Wash baby artichokes, peel back outer leaves and cut in half lengthwise.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Bring 2 to 3 inches of water to boil in a pot and drop in mint.
- Add a steamer basket over the water and place the artichokes into the steamer basket. Cover tightly, and steam until just tender, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Cool slightly, drain well and coat artichokes evenly with olive oil.
- Arrange artichokes in a single layer on a roasting pan and bake for 5 to 7 minutes.
- While artichokes roast, whisk together mayonnaise, 2 TBS tequila, lime juice, chopped mint, garlic powder, ¼ tsp salt, ⅛ tsp black pepper.
- Remove artichokes from the oven and season with ¼ tsp salt and ⅛ tsp black pepper.
- Place artichokes on a serving plate and drizzle with 1 TBS tequila.
- Serve artichokes warm or at room temperature with dipping sauce.
Serving Size:4 oz artichokes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 296Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 448mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 7gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback.
You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my eMail list, too!