Baby purple artichokes are small, meaty and full of flavor. Roasted in the oven, these Tequila Lime Purple Artichokes make a great appetizer or snack.
I think I’m in love. Actually, I know I’m in love. Sssh!! Don’t tell my husband. It’s my new camera lens. I’m so in love with this new lens that it’s making simple food photography so much fun. After years of photography frustration, I’m finally happy with my pictures.
And honestly, I’m not just in love with my new lens. I’m also in love with these gorgeous Fiesole Baby Purple Artichokes!
To celebrate their Artichoke Festival, Frieda’s Produce sent me these unbelievably stunning artichokes to photograph, to cook and to frankly, fall in love with. I couldn’t stop taking pictures of them.
Aren’t they lovely? Don’t they look like rose buds?
These little artichokes are tender and with no hairy choke inside to fuss with. I admit I was feeling giddy with these lovelies… so I broke out the tequila!
Again, sssh!! Don’t tell my husband!! He’s very possessive about his tequila!
These Tequila Lime Purple Artichokes are super easy to prepare. A 5 minute steam bath followed by 7 minutes roasting in the oven. A little drizzle of tequila on their bodies and an easy tequila lime dipping sauce to dunk them in.
Need more recipes using baby purple artichokes? Try my recipe for Braised Baby Purple Artichokes with Olive Oil and Wine.
- 1 lb Fiesole Baby Purple Artichokes
- 1/2 cup fresh mint (optional)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 TBS tequila
- 1 1/2 TBS lime juice
- 3 tsp chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Wash baby artichokes, peel back outer leaves and cut in half lengthwise.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Bring 2 to 3 inches of water to boil in a pot and drop in mint.
- Add a steamer basket over the water and place the artichokes into the steamer basket. Cover tightly, and steam until just tender, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Cool slightly, drain well and coat artichokes evenly with olive oil.
- Arrange artichokes in a single layer on a roasting pan and bake for 5 to 7 minutes.
- While artichokes roast, whisk together mayonnaise, 2 TBS tequila, lime juice, chopped mint, garlic powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp black pepper.
- Remove artichokes from the oven and season with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp black pepper.
- Place artichokes on a serving plate and drizzle with 1 TBS tequila.
- Serve artichokes warm or at room temperature with dipping sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:4 oz artichokes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 296Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 448mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 7gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g