Sangria artichokes are vibrantly colored and meaty, and this steamed Artichoke with Garlic Butter is addictively delicious.
Aaaah… my artichoke love affair continues! Steam them, grill them or roast them, even canned and pickled, I love artichokes. Some may argue it’s all about the dipping sauce. It’s like a chip that needs a dip. But sometimes a really good artichoke only needs a bit of salt & drizzle of lemon juice.
Frieda’s Produce was kind enough to send me a couple of their exclusive varieties of artichokes. I previously wrote about the Fiesole Baby Purple Artichokes, that have no hairy choke inside. Today, I’m featuring another fabulous artichoke: The Sangria Artichoke. Gorgeous, isn’t it?
I never knew artichokes came in any other color, but green! The Sangria Artichoke has exceptionally meaty leaves, with a subtle nutty flavor. Really a marvelous and flavorful artichoke.
You prepare them the same way you prepare the traditional all green Globe Artichokes you find at the grocery store. If the leaf tips have thorns, clip them. Also cut off 1/2 to 1-inch from the top of the artichoke. Rub the cut part of the artichoke with lemon juice to prevent browning and steam until fork tender.
So I kept it simple, with a 20-minutes steam bath and some lemony garlic butter to dunk it in. Lots of garlic, actually.
Middle Child and My Princess are big fans of steamed artichokes and this garlic butter dipping sauce is one of their favorite ways to enjoy it. Sometimes it’s the simple recipes that are the most delicious!
- 1 artichoke
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- 3 TBS unsalted butter
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp diced chives
- Rinse and trim 1/2 to 1 inch off the top of artichoke.
- Trim half inch off the bottom stem and slightly spread open the petals.
- Rub cut parts of artichoke with 1 TBS lemon juice.
- In a large pot add 2 to 3 inches of water and place a steamer basket over the water. Place artichoke in steamer basket cut side up.
- Cover pot and steam until leaves are tender, about 20 minutes.
- During the last 5 mins of steaming, add butter, 2 tsp lemon juice, crushed garlic clove and chives in small pot over medium heat. Cook until butter is melted.
- Serve artichokes warm or at room temperature with dipping sauce.
- After enjoying the leaves, scoop out the fuzzy center “choke” prior to eating the inner heart.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1/2 artichoke
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 189 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 46mg Sodium: 42mg Carbohydrates: 8g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 1g Protein: 2g