Get your antibiotic fix and satisfy any chocolate cravings you may have with these gooey and dreamy Blueberry Cream Cheese Brownies.
I suppose you can classify me as a bona fide choco-holic. I adore chocolate. I am the quintessential mom who has a secret stash of good chocolate hidden in the kitchen, usually in the back of the oil and vinegar cabinet. Sssh! Don’t tell my family!
I usually need a little chocolate fix in the afternoon or when the kids are really driving me crazy. In all honesty, there’s never a bad time to indulge in some chocolate.
Because I have a food blog, often times I find myself not remaking some recipe-oldies-but-goodies. And it’s not because they were bad or bland. The main reason is that my head is always churning with new ideas, and I like to challenge myself with a new recipe, conquer it and move on.
So when I found myself happily drowning in blueberries a month ago, I started rummaging through my old recipes – especially the real olds ones that needed new photos.
These Blueberry Cream Cheese Brownies totally needed to return to the front page. Fudgy brownies with a hidden layer of silky cream cheese mixed with blueberries – what’s not to love?
My kids thought they won the lottery when they saw these babies sitting on the table. Either Mommy was in a mysterious good mood or the kids were on excellent behavior, it didn’t matter. They descended on the plate of blueberry cream cheese brownies like kids will do when something sugary is in their line of sight.
These bad boys are rich, so feel free to cut them into smaller sizes. If you don’t have fresh blueberries, you spoon in some thick fruit preserves of your choice. It’s all good, in my opinion!
To my fellow choco-holics, go indulge!
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 TBS water
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted
- 4 oz chocolate, unsweetened
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, divided
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs, large
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Line 8" x 8" baking pan with aluminum foil and grease foil with cooking spray.
- Place blueberries, 2 TBS sugar and 1 TBS water in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Stir occasionally as blueberries cook and syrup forms, about 15 minutes.
- In a medium-sized, microwave proof bowl combine butter and chocolate. Place in microwave and cook on high for 30 seconds.
Stir butter and chocolate and cook again on high for 30 seconds.
Stir melted butter and chocolate again and repeat until chocolate has melted.
- In a food processor, mix together cream cheese, 2 TBS sugar, 3/4 tsp vanilla extract and one egg. Pulse until well combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Add 1 1/2 cups sugar to cooled chocolate mixture. Whisking to combine.
- When sugar is incorporated, add remaining 3 eggs and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract to cooled chocolate mixture. Whisking well to combine.
- Add the flour mixture to chocolate mixture. Stir well.
- Pour half of the brownie batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Using a scraper, spread cream cheese mixture evenly over brownie batter.
- Using a spoon, dollop blueberries and syrup over cream cheese mixture and swirl into cream cheese.
- Pour remaining brownie batter over blueberry-cream cheese mixture and spread evenly.
- Bake for about 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted to center of brownie comes out clean.
- Cool for two hours and lift foil out of pan to remove brownies and cut into squares.
Serving Suggestions: If you don't have fresh blueberries, frozen call also be used or you can also use 1/3-cup of fruit preserves (like strawberry, raspberry, blackberry).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 262Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 157mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 27gProtein: 4g