Keep cool and snack healthy with this easy to prepare Persian Yogurt Spinach Dip (Borani Esfenaj). It also makes a fabulous last minute appetizer.
Summer appetizers are a real treat. You have a wide assortment of produce you can choose from to make it something special. This appetizer doesn’t use seasonal ingredients, but because it is made with yogurt and is served cold, it really is refreshing to serve on a hot summer day. This is an easy Persian appetizer, Yogurt and Spinach Dip (Borani-e Esfenaj).
You sauté your onions and add garlic and chopped spinach, cook for a few minutes, and then let cool. Stir in your yogurt, the thick sour Middle-Eastern yogurt and let it sit in the fridge for the flavors to blend. I made took this to my friend’s house for a pool/dinner date and we were all munching away. Of course, the pita chips don’t hurt either!
Another great yogurt appetizer is Yogurt and Eggplant Dip (Borani-e Bademjoon). This recipe is lighter than the traditional recipe because I roast the eggplants in the oven, instead of pan-frying.
And my final Persian yogurt appetizer is Persian Yogurt with Cucumbers (Mast-o Khiar). No cooking involved with this one! Simply mix chopped cucumbers with dill, mint and yogurt. You can also add walnuts and raisins to it. This is especially popular with the kidlets.
All of these recipes can be used as an appetizer or a side dish.
And here’s a video tutorial on how to make yogurt:
- 3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 TBS chopped walnuts (optional)
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat and add olive oil.
- Add onion and sauté until they start to soften.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until onions brown slightly, about 7 minutes.
- Mix in spinach and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, or until spinach is wilted and cooked.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl add cooled spinach mix with yogurt, salt and pepper.
- Mix until combined, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours prior to serving.
- When ready to serve, transfer to serving bowl and garnish with walnuts.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with pita bread, chips and/or an assortment of vegetables.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 134Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 235mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 10g