This moist, gluten free pumpkin bread is full of real, unprocessed ingredients like honey, almond meal, almond butter, pumpkin and arrowroot powder.
I have a small confession to make. My first week of going completely unprocessed hasn’t been too successful. It was a super busy week, with a thousand activities to juggle. Stress makes me eat. Might be why I have 15 extra pounds I need to shed.
No excuses though. It’s typical for moms, especially me, to put myself on the bottom of the priority list. I know next week will be better. Especially because I took the time to take care of ME and make myself this unprocessed gluten free pumpkin bread.
I won’t take total credit for posting this today. This bread is something I have been working on and tweaking for a couple years. You’d think I would have it perfected by now. But, since I make this bread for me specifically, for MY taste and MY health benefit, well, you can imagine that I just don’t make this often enough.
It took my #SundaySupper gang to get back to baking for ME with this Sunday’s Autumn “orange” menu plan. From sweet potatoes to pumpkin, squash to carrots, everything is on the menu.
This bread is super moist and MILDLY sweet. While I may not be completely unprocessing as I hoped last week, I wasn’t THAT bad. I typically do not like to overload on sugar in my quick breads, muffins or scones. But, no one will stop you from drizzling a little on honey when you eat this bread. Well, I certainly won’t!
And speaking of honey, that’s the unprocessed sweetener I chose for this recipe (my personal favorite). The bulk of the bread is made with almond butter, almond meal and some arrowroot powder. It’s not vegan, as I do use eggs.
It is also filled with all of my favorite nuts and fruits: almonds, pistachios, sesame seeds and dried cranberries. You can totally substitute with other nuts and dried fruits, like walnuts, macadamia nuts, pepitas, raisins and chopped dried apricots.
Most importantly, it’s fabulous with my morning tea… even on a Sunday morning! I like to take my slice of pumpkin bread, toast it in my toaster and then slather with a healthy spread of cream cheese. Mmm… this is the perfect fall morning breakfast! YUM!
Want to go unprocessed in your home? You can learn more about eating unprocessed here.
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 3/4 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup chopped dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 1/4 cup almond slices
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Coat a 9-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray and line with parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk almond butter, pumpkin purée, honey and olive oil until smooth and creamy.
- Mix in baking soda, baking powder, salt, almond meal, arrowroot powder until incorporated.
- Whisk in eggs one at a time.
- Mix in cranberries, pistachios and pepitas by hand.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle over the top of the batter with almond slices.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes.
- Let bread rest in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Cooking Tips: Mix the nuts and fruit up and try with raisins, walnuts or sesame seeds.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 186Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 287mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 16gProtein: 5g