This yogurt plum cake is so easy to whip up you can even wow last-minute dinner guests with a warm cake right out of the oven. Take advantage of summer/fall plum season or elevate off-season plums with this simple, satisfying single layer cake.
Alas, summer is drawing to a close. Sigh. Although my kids don’t start school until Wednesday, I can feel the pressure that going back to school brings. No more flip flops for footwear, board shorts or stretched out bathing suits you can wear all day.
Although we don’t sleep in too much, unless you call 7:30 sleeping in, we lay in our jammies all morning long, eat brunch instead of breakfast and play and laugh.
Of course, as predicted, summer weather has finally arrived in San Diego. So while the kids return to school, it will be nice and hot outside and they will be desiring pool play dates and boogie boards over text books and lessons. I feel their pain. I love having the summer time with my kids. And we love the fun foods we made and ate together all summer long!
Here is one of those summer desserts, Plum Yogurt Cake. I made it in a flash. Super easy. I didn’t have to haul out the mixer. It’s one of those one bowl cake recipes, and you don’t need a mixer, honestly.
I get lazy in the kitchen, too. So if I just need a bowl and a whisk, then that means an easy clean up while the cake is baking!
I loved the pairing of tart plums with my lightly sweetened cake. Sweet and sour, like the end of summer. This is my go-to dessert to whip up when I need to bake up something quick for unexpected guests or a last minute invite. It is SUPER easy to make, and you can use any number of fresh fruit toppings.
Happy Summer everyone!
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup yogurt, plain
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 eggs, large
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 plums, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Apply non-stick spray to one 9-inch round cake pan and line the bottom with parchment or waxed paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, mix together sugar, yogurt, olive oil, eggs and vanilla extract until combined.
- In batches, mix flour mixture into yogurt mixture and stir until combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared cake pan.
- Arrange plum slices over the top of the cake.
- Place the cake in the oven and cook for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Place the cake on a cooling rack and let it cool for 20 minutes prior to serving.
Serving Suggestions: Serve alone, with vanilla ice cream or top with sweetened whipped cream.
Cooking Tips: Substitute plums with blueberries, raspberries, peaches or pears.
- Hand Mixer with Accessories
- Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
- Commercial Round 9-inch Cake Pan
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 327 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 71mg Sodium: 199mg Carbohydrates: 41g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 22g Protein: 6g