When you need to throw a delicious appetizer fast, whip together Baked Goat Cheese with Mango Salsa for something super special.
I’m a big fan of shopping local and supporting small businesses. I am also all about brand loyalty. When I find something I really like, I will continue buying it again and again. When it comes to fresh fruit and vegetables, I like to shop in smaller markets, especially since they do their best to buy first from local growers.
I can do this because I live in Southern California. We are lucky to have to have small grocery chains like Henry’s Marketplace, Sprouts, Trader Joe’s and even smaller ma-and-pop markets that offer fresh produce for so much cheaper than the big grocery stores. This helps me and my family to eat healthier and more economically than ever before.
One trick I have learned with cooking for a family on the go is finding healthy shortcuts to speed up the dinner making process. One of those shortcuts I am sharing with you today is how to cook with salsa.
Salsa is always great alone with tortilla chips and an ice cold margarita. And we also know it is a terrific condiment on eggs, tacos and other Mexican dishes. But, have you ever cooked with salsa?
I like to add salsa in my Chicken Tortilla Soup. It offers great flavor and intensity. And who couldn’t use a nice bowl of soup during these cold months?
And for a quick appetizer for those upcoming holiday parties, why not try this Baked Goat Cheese with Mango Salsa? Chop a little mango, mix it with some fresh salsa, pour it over some goat cheese and cream cheese mix and bake it. You’ll have a creamy, sweet and spicy dip that all of your guests this holiday season will love.
So much fancier than plain chips and salsa. And so easy to make.
What is your favorite way to use salsa?
- 4 oz goat cheese, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup salsa, any variety
- 1 mango, cut into small chunks
- 1 TBS fresh chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a bowl, mix together goat cheese and cream cheese with a rubber spatula until fully incorporated.
- Scrape cheese into a large sheet of plastic wrap, forming a flat disk. Completely wrap in plastic wrap and shape into a 5-inch circle, by hand or by pressing into a bowl.
- Unwrap cheese and place in a small baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the salsa and mango chunks.
- Pour salsa mix over the cheese and bake until bubbly, about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
- Serve immediately with pita or tortilla chips.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 122Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 341mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 4g