For a healthy anytime snack using wholesome ingredients try these No Bake Crispy Rice Bars with Pistachios and Honey.
It’s hard for me to eat healthy from October through December. Besides Halloween, October for us is filled with too many birthday parties for family and friends. Then you’ve got Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukah and parties galore.
This past week alone, two of my kids had multi-cultural feasts at school. The third kid has theirs next week. I should have not volunteered to save my waistline from nibbling on lumpias, empanadas and so many other amazing treats and snacks. But, I didn’t. I went. I just love trying foods from so many cultures.
So, in between the parties, holidays and feasts, I find myself detoxing. I take out sugar – or at least I cut it back or use my stevia. I also take out gluten. I do my best, ahem, to eat extra healthy… until the next food event.
Needless to say, I was thrilled to have been contacted by Attune Foods to try out some of their cereals. Attune prides themselves in offering wholesome foods that include real wholesome ingredients. Their mission alone is what sold me to try out their products.
I requested the gluten-free, kid-friendly group of cereals and received: Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice- Gluten Free Cereal (pictured below), Erewhon Rice Twice Cereal and Erewhon Strawberry Crisp Cereal (pictured above).
My 6-year old Princess was super excited and immediately asked to try to the strawberry cereal when she came home from school. Who says cereal is just for breakfast.
She ate it up. So did the Professor. I couldn’t resist it, myself. Only Middle-Child refused to try it. He’s not one to try new things and he’s set on his morning ritual of Honey-Nut Cheerios. We’ll ignore that for now.
Eventually, the kids devoured the cereal, leaving me some of the Rice Twice to make a healthier crispy rice bar, made with brown sugar and honey and NOT marshmallows. I also mixed in pistachios, cranberries, apricots and chocolate chips.
Super duper delish.
And you know who was more excited to eat these bars? Adults. There’s something about a sweet crispy rice bar that brings us back to our childhood. And with nuts and dried fruits mixed in, it satisfies the grown-up in us,making sure we eat healthy, too.
The chocolate chips? Well, chocolate IS full of anti-oxidants!
Thank you, Attune Foods for keeping it REAL
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, bittersweet
- 3 cup puffed rice cereal
- 1/4 cup cranberries, dried
- 1/2 cup pistachios, shelled & chopped
- 1/4 cup apricots, dried, chopped into 4 pieces
- 4 TBS butter, unsalted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, light
- 1/4 cup honey
- Place chocolate chips in the freezer for at least 3 hours prior to mixing!
- In a large bowl combine puffed rice cereal, cranberries, pistachios and apricots. Set aside.
- In a small non-stick saucepan, whisk together butter, brown sugar and honey. Bring to boil, then remove honey mixture from heat and pour into the rice mix, stirring well.
- Quickly stir in frozen chocolate chips until combined.
- Press rice mixture into a 9-inch baking pan that has been coated with non-stick spray.
- Refrigerate until set, about an hour.
- Cut bars into desired shape and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 137Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 28mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 2g