September is upon us and it’s not just about the kids going back to school. No, I’m not talking about cooler weather or autumn. I’m talking about the start of football season. Love it or hate it, that’s another blog post. But, you can’t argue that we have some great eats for tailgating and game day parties. From nachos and chili to burgers and bbq, I love everything about football munchies. It’s unhealthy, it’s delicious and man, and it’s never-ending! And the #SundaySupper crew has some great football munchies for you – Bring it on!
One must-have dip for the big game is guacamole. I have already shared with you my love and adoration for the glorious, green avocado. Back in July, bloggers of all venues, including myself, were invited by California Avocado Commission to celebrate the avocado at Downtown Disney in Anaheim. Every restaurant featured the avocado in an assortment of new menu items.
We were treated to an amazing time and a mind-blowing feast at the Catal Restaurant. I was able to sip on a margarita and catch up with my pal, Mimi Avocado, and the CA Avocado team. What stood out the most, was the suckling pig with smoked avocados.
When I took a bite of the avocado, it truly was cold, green, unblemished and smokey. OMG.
“How did you do this????” I asked the chef.
He explained in detail this contraption he used to cold smoke the avocados. My husband (the engineer) was in awe, and we continued to ask more questions about this smoking contraption. How did it work? What exactly was it? Where can I get one?!! Chef Steven was kind enough to answer all of our questions and share his secret. He quickly returned to the kitchen to retrieve The Smoking Gun™.
It’s an ingenius way of adding smoke flavor to ANYTHING without destroying the food. It also works on drinks. I knew I had to get my hands on one.
After contacting the wonderful folks at Polyscience, they sent me a smoking gun to try out for myself. Not owning any kind smoker, the hubby and I had a bit of fun.
Just a teaspoonful of wood shavings was needed. The fan in the gun sucks in the smoke generated from the burning shavings, then shoots it through a tube, which is tucked inside a bowl holding the food you want smoked. Remove the tube when the shavings are all burned, and close the lid on your bowl for 5 minutes and let the smoke work it’s magic.
This gadget is easy to use and adds tremendous smokey flavor. And it worked amazingly with my Smokey Guacamole with Bacon. Yes, smoked bacon. And seasoned with some smokey paprika and charcoal infused black Hawaiin sea salt.
Smoked foods and football. A match made in heaven. Along with bacon. Anything with bacon.
Check out these other fabulous football eats made by the #SundaySupper gang:
The Football Tailgating Menu Lineup
- Sausage Balls by My Catholic Kitchen
- Edamame Hummus by Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Rueben Dip by The Meltaways
- Buffalo Wing Hummus by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Smokey Guacamole with Bacon by Family Spice
- Pepperoni & Mozzarella Pull Apart by In the Kitchen with KP
- Boneless Honey BBQ Chicken Wings by Juanita’s Cocina
- Candied Pecans by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Crispy Coconut Chicken Strips with Sweet Chili Sauce by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Swabian Mini Meatballs (Schwaebische Mini Fleischkuechle) by Galactosemia in PDX
- Joe Montana’s Touchdown Guacamole by Noshing with the Nolands
- Cheddar Cheese Jalapeno Bites by Mama.Mommy.Mom.
- Hot & Spicy Popcorn Chicken by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites by Family Foodie
- Soft Pretzels with Spicy Beer Cheese Sauce by girlichef
- Game Day Loaded Nachos by The Messy Baker
- Buffalo Chicken Dip by Home Cooking Memories
- Southwestern Spring Rolls by Supper for a Steal
- Pepperoni Pizza Puffs by Comfy Cuisine
- Roasted Garlic Bacon Dip with Easy Homemade Tortilla Chips by Daily Dish Recipes
- Beer Battered Spiced Sweet Potato Lentil Fritters by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Indian Spiced Chicken Meatballs by Soni’s Food for Thought
On the Sidelines:
- Anne’s Best Potato Salad with Bacon and Peas by Webicurean
- Simple Roasted Purple Potatoes by Ruffles and Truffles
- Spicy BBQ Baked Beans by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Papa’s Potato Salad & Baked Beans by Kwistin’s Favorites
- Gluten Free Breakfast Sandwich by Cooking Underwriter
- Pollo Adobado con Papas (Adobo Chicken with Potatoes) by La Cocina de Leslie
- Poor Man’s Burrito by Shockingly Delicious
- Ham and Mushroom Handpies by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Individual Muffuletta Sandwiches by Magnolia Days
- Far East Steak Salad by Diabetic Foodie
- Italian Sloppy Joes by The Weekend Gourmet
- Hot Chicken Chili by Momma’s Meals
- Louisiana Sloppy Joes by Sustainable Dad
- Hawaiian Chicken Wraps by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grandpa Sal’s Sausage and Peppers by Daddy Knows Less
- Fancy Filet Chili by I Run for Wine
- Homemade Italian Sausage by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Jalapeno Crockpot Chili by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Flavorful Fall Marinade by Midlife Road Trip
- Moose Chili by Mrs. Mama Hen
- Peanut Butter-Stuffed Chocolate Cookies by Chocolate Moosey
- Streusel Topped Pumpkin Bread by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Zucchini Cupcakes by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Oven-Baked Churros by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Swirl Nutella Cupcakes by Basic N Delicious
- Peanut Butter and Pretzel Truffles by Gotta Get Baked
From the Cooler:
- Sparkling Tropical Lemonade by Dinners. Dishes, and Desserts
- Strawberry Horchata by Damn Delicious
Wine Pairings by Wine Everyday
Please be sure you join us on Twitter all day for this special football season Sunday Supper Event. We’ll be chatting it up at 7:00 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll share our Football Tailgating Menu.